So angry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilfred

Reaction score
About 20 minutes ago I walked past my reptile room n could smell plastic burning I went in to find a well known brands heat mat with thermostat has malfunctioned and melted a click clack with python in side

That's terrible what brand of heat mat was it? and is the snake ok?

Heat mats... a universal no-no... Heat cords - fantastic...

Jamie

Reptile one and it was the inbuilt thermo I didn't trust it at first for 2 munths I tested it and it was working fine and I have been useing it for about 5-6 munths

What's your opinion on that heating element stuff that can be cut to different sizes? Is that in the same class as heat mats?

I've never used that stuff Vixen, but I haven't heard of any mishaps either. I think it's been pretty much replaced by those vinyl-covered heat mats and heat cords. The issue I have with heat mats is that very few people use them as they are supposed to be used, with adequate ventilation around them. And people consistently rely on thermostats to maintain control - a very dangerous assumption. That's why I always advocate using the lowest possible wattage heat source in all situations. Using a high heat source and relying on a thermostat which might fail is asking to have your house burned down. I've seen even a 7W heat mat set fire to a wooden table when the thermostat failed.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. Was considering using that tape for a new rack setup and sticking it along the back wall behind the rubs, rather than underneath - but think i'll just stick with heatcords!

Vixen, I've had racks with heatcords which have been fault-free for 10 years now, and still going strong - I just cut two grooves to accommodate the cords and cover them with the aluminium tape available from Jaycar to spread the gentle heat. No problems at all, and even without a thermostat I don't think they can get hot enough to cause a fire or scorch the surrounding stuff.

Jamie

About 20 minutes ago I walked past my reptile room n could smell plastic burning I went in to find a well known brands heat mat with thermostat has malfunctioned and melted a click clack with python in side
dont use heat matts i say, thats how my house burned down.

I have a rack which holds 21 x 18 litre tubs and 27 x 7 litre systema click clacks and is 6 shelves. Each shelf has an 80 watt heat cord routed into 4 grooves, covered in aluminium tape then has ceramic tiles over the top of that to distribute the heat evenly. The heated area covers only a third of the enclosures at the back of the rack. I run the whole lot on 1 thermostat with the probe in a dummy tub so it reads the tub temperature inside rather than on top of the tiles which are a couple of degrees hotter.. Have run this for around 6 months now with no problem. I also have a thermometer probe in the dummy tank as a double check on the thermostat. really happy with the set up.
without the thermostat the tubs run at about 38 degrees. The tiles also act a a bit of a heat bank as well keeping the temperature very constant.

Just to let you all know the python is ok I got to it in time thank god it's shedding and was in the water bowl the heat mat was only 5 wat

love how it was all about the heat mat and you were the first person to actually ask whether the python was okay...

I would also like to know whether the python is alright?
I'm pretty much desensitized to such things. If I got upset everytime a bearded didn't get uv or a python got burnt in captivity. I'd be rocking on the floor in the fetal position by now.

love how it was all about the heat mat and you were the first person to actually ask whether the python was okay...

I would also like to know whether the python is alright?

It was asked in the first reply so I didn`t think it needed to be asked again, I was happy to wait and see what the answer was before I joined in asking the same question over and over.

so how do you set up a heatcord for a click clack if the smallest heatcord in pet shops are4-6 foot long? Wouldn't you have heaps of it bunched up or overhanging? Thats why I use heat mats for some of my enclosures.

so how do you set up a heatcord for a click clack if the smallest heatcord in pet shops are4-6 foot long? Wouldn't you have heaps of it bunched up or overhanging? Thats why I use heat mats for some of my enclosures.
Just let the cord hang in a nice u. But if used correctly you can get most of it under a tile and no need for over hang. 15w cords don't get as warm and you usually need most the length for
a decent warm spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back