ID on a snake i bumped into this arvo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damo77

Reaction score
Saw a snake on our property near Toowoomba this afternoon. Unfortunately no pics however it was arounf 5ft long, had a dark brown to slate coloured body with a small tan coloured head. It was quite a thick heavy body. It looked at me and i looked at it for a while then when i took a few steps back it slowly slithered away.
The closest thing i have been able to find picture wise on the net is a mulga snake.
Thanks
Damian

- - - Updated - - -

After having a bit more of a look it appears it is an eastern brown. Might need to do a bit more clearing in the area and hope it moves somewhere else on our 20 acres.

Saw a snake on our property near Toowoomba this afternoon. Unfortunately no pics however it was arounf 5ft long, had a dark brown to slate coloured body with a small tan coloured head. It was quite a thick heavy body. It looked at me and i looked at it for a while then when i took a few steps back it slowly slithered away.
The closest thing i have been able to find picture wise on the net is a mulga snake.
Thanks
Damian

By that description (and without a picture) it may well be an Eastern Brown (Pseudonaja textilis). Without further description or pics it might be anything.

:)

ETA:

just missed your update!

don't wish him too far away, great pest control ;)

Are you sure it wasn't a coastal taipan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it wasn't a coastal taipan?
Just checked out coastal taipan and the head on our snake was too small for a taipan. Now I am pretty sure it was an eastern brown. Just a bloody big one. I was probably being very conservative when i said it was 5ft. Didnt want to fall into the trap of seing a two foot snake that ended up 8ft with huge dripping fangs and an eye patch when reflecting.

20130914_092102.jpg

20130914_092107.jpg

Mum and Dad get lots of browns at their place at Lowood QLD (near Fernvale). They have such a vast colour range. The small head sounds like a give away and they certainly can get quite big!

We have a little man made fish pond creek area and I found this brown's partial skin in the creek bed on Saturday.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you don't get Mulga/king Brown's in Toowoomba...from what your saying if I was to take a bet it would be an eb ...but without a pic, no one can give you an accurate ID

Pretty sure you don't get Mulga/king Brown's in Toowoomba...from what your saying if I was to take a bet it would be an eb ...but without a pic, no one can give you an accurate ID
I think the original post was changed from mulga to eastern brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back