Bitey Pilbara Stimi Youngster

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c.wulli

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've got a young Stimi and he is always very tense and on his toes (if he had any) ;) and I know about like them being bitey when young. But if he strikes at me and misses when I'm holding him... Should I put the back of my hand near him and let him bite to show that I'm not going away and mean him no harm. Or should I simply move slowly towards his cage and put him back. What's the best way to attack the whole biting situation? Let him bite or try to avoid it when he strikes? Any other suggestions?

thanks guys!

So he lets you pick him up with no issues? And Then bites?

Ever time I go near his Click Clack I have to show him I'm there... And let him get used to that by just sitting my hand outside his cage. If I go straight in and gently grab him he will bite straight away and will continue to do so until I put him back. Even when I approach slowly and let him know I'm there he is always tense and ready to strike if I move too quickly or in an unexpected manor.

I can only talk of my experience with my snake, it used to hit me more times than the Taxman, every time I went to handle him I tried the methods that you have mentioned and with the same resulting loss of Blood :rolleyes:.

In the end I just grabbed him and whether I got bitten or not would hold him for awhile put him back in the enclosure this went on for about 3 weeks after that I think my pet just gave up now I can pick him up 99% of the time without being bitten.

Just my 2c worth

Ever time I go near his Click Clack I have to show him I'm there... And let him get used to that by just sitting my hand outside his cage. If I go straight in and gently grab him he will bite straight away and will continue to do so until I put him back. Even when I approach slowly and let him know I'm there he is always tense and ready to strike if I move too quickly or in an unexpected manor.
Use a small hook made out of old coat hanger to gently lift out and place gently in hands...it will then get used to the hook as a handling session and no hook as a dinner time :lol:

Whats his setup like. It is normal for most hatchies to defend themselves from anything that moves. Make sure he has a small dark hide and a cool place and warm place in the click clack. Use a hook to get him out and he sure calm down over time. There is no need to handle them when they are young except to clean the tub. Otherwise you are just putting undue stress on the animal.
Let him get into a routine of you entering the tub to feed and change water and then later when hes ok with that introduce the hook for handling a couple of times a week.

There is no need to handle them when they are young except to clean the tub. Otherwise you are just putting undue stress on the animal.

Spot on.

Chances are your little guy will calm down with time.
Is the hatchy hanging on when it bites or is it just tagging you?

Can always take it to juvie python training classes .....or there is always the naughty spot ....

Hes just tagging me. He doesnt hold on. So im assuming hes just scared and intimidated by my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back