Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately there is no way to prove what the original jags come from and the stories are all hearsay... but the story goes that they were pure coastal pairing and there are people who have only crossed these originals back to pure coastals which is the lines that people are referring to when they say pure coastal jags and these lines are in Australia.

Look at the size of Aussie jags
If they were pure coastal what size would they be??
Any coastal can reach 12ft
Not many Aussie jags reach 8ft

Although Jan Engels is still adamant the original pairing was coastals within 2 years all the German Dutch and American breeders were adding IJ to improve the yellow
So any jag less than 12ft long with yellow highlights most definitely has IJ in it

When I see a 12ft Aussie jag with low yellow, similar to the original jags, I will believe the "Pure Coastal Jag" story
Until then its just a myth

From the original breeder of jags Jan Eric Engell

There has been a lot of discussions on Carpet forums whether my Jaguars are actual Coastals or not.
During the 1960’ies and 1970’ies the only Carpet Pythons you could get your hands on here in Europe were Coastals. All of the Carpets I collected at the time were the Brisbane variety.

Their lenghts speak for themselves. Simply the fact that my Coastals have reached lenghts on average of 10-11 feet, with the exceptions of a few 13 footers should be proof enough. My “Big Mamma“ as I call my oldest normal Coastal is now 13 feet. Two of my largest Jaguars are now approximately 10 and 11 feet long.
Do Jungles or Irians reach such sizes?

I had not even heard about Jungle or Irian Carpets when the new reptile law went into effect on January 1st. 1977, making it illegal to import reptiles to Norway. From this date on it was also illegal to own reptiles unless you obtained a dispensation from the Ministry of Agriculture. I do possess such a permit on all my snakes.

My facility is inspected a few times each year by the Norwegian Veterinary authorities. Not only are the python eggs inspected and counted, but also the babies after they hatch. Everything is accounted for and if as much as one animal should die during the year I have to put it in the freezer and report it to the authorities. I also have to keep the empty eggs frozen until the inspector arrives. All the frozen eggs as well as potential dead animals are then handed over to the vet. inspector. These are used in educational purposes or properly disposed of by the authorities.
THAT IS HOW STRICT IT IS HERE IN NORWAY. Be glad you herpers do not live here!

In other words keeping illegal animals at my facility is not worth the risk of having my collection confiscated. The only Carpet Python I have a permit for is the Coastal Carpet (former variegatae, now mcdowelli) and that is the only Carpet specie I intend to keep here in Norway. End of story!

And if you wonder why it was called variegatae back then it was simply because the Morelia “Carpet” group was devided into variegatae (all the Carpets), bredli (Centralians) and spilota (Diamonds). They were not separated into subspecies back then.

So there won’t be any further misunderstandings to the following warning. Two Europeans and one Las Vegas petstore manager tried to pass off their Irian Jaya Carpets as true Jaguars during 2001/2002. I have kept all the correspondence as evidence, just in case I ever needed proof.
NOTE!

Be aware that there are a few Irian Jaya Carpets out there that can be mistaken for true Jaguar Coastals. At least as far as pattern is concerned, but the comparison ends there. Most importantly, the color is totally different.

True Jaguars develop with age a bright yellow/orange background color.
Furthermore, the true Jaguar bloodline is capable of producing several unique Jaguar morphs.
I would therefore simply call these Irian Jayas for so-called "false" Jaguars at best, since they lack the possibilities of true Jaguars. Even though Irian Jaya Carpets are beautiful animals I would not want people to get ripped off, expecting or hoping these to be from my Jaguar bloodline.
I just wanted to clear this up once and for all.
Thank you!
Jan Eric Engell

Text of Jan Eric Engell

From the original breeder of jags Jan Eric Engell --There has been a lot of discussions on Carpet forums whether my Jaguars are actual Coastals or not.
During the 1960’ies and 1970’ies the only Carpet Pythons you could get your hands on here in Europe were Coastals. All of the Carpets I collected at the time were the Brisbane variety.

I find that comment to be a bit cynical.How could he possibly know that his originals were Brisbane carpets? Did he ever come out and say were he got his original animals from?

Jan did have big Brissy looking coastals on his web site. So it appears he did have Brissy stock...
But he never posted pics of the parents of the first jag , so this is where the questions arise as to what they looked like..
Heres some pics of the Brissy stock that Jan had on his web site from many years ago..

But as far as I am concerned, I highly doubt there would be pure Coastal jags in oz.. There is no way their lineage could be confirmed as pure coastal etc....

Attachments

• DSCN0194.jpg
    DSCN0194.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 72
  • coastal3.jpg
    coastal3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Jaguar-2.jpg
    Jaguar-2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 80
  • coastal2.jpg
    coastal2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
That letter by Jan Engels was in late 2002 after other sellers tried to sell pure IJ carpets as jags
He has kept fairly quiet about things ever since, which is perfectly understandable

At that time the Dutch Germans and Yanks were just introducing IJs into the Coastal Jag lines
Jags never really hit the market until 2004

After IJs were introduced the size dropped dramatically
Also a lot more patterns and colours came onto the scene
What we see in Aus is vastly different to the original, possibly 'pure coastal jags'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back