Any Fishermen????????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its one of the worst things you can do. If you personally didnt catch it or own it (snake) then you shouldn't have the right to pose with it. Up north or anywhere we go fishing, we have three rules on the boat:
No bananas
No posing with other's fish
No seasickness
If you follow those rules then you are fine :p hahaha

Its one of the worst things you can do. If you personally didnt catch it or own it (snake) then you shouldn't have the right to pose with it. Up north or anywhere we go fishing, we have three rules on the boat:
No bananas
No posing with other's fish
No seasickness
If you follow those rules then you are fine :p hahaha
I love rule one but do not know the story behind it, do you know the reason for it?
My mates mackrel was caught off the beach at Fraser island on a whole tailer that he had caught and he estimated it to be between 35 and 40 kg. I love fishing but I am not into it like some of my mates so they usually catch the impressive fish. My other mate with the parrot is mad keen, he bags out on snapper whenever he goes out but targets whiting and fishes up fraser a lot too, he also goes up to 1770 for some coral trout too and will head out for a couple of hours at midnight on a week night to chase a bit of squid.

Yeah keen fisherman will understand... Bananas are supposed to be VERY bad luck and it has proven with us... It was an old tradition and it has stuck... Yeah fraser is where the snapper and mackerel where caught the others where out of gladestone... I work as deckhand on an commercial line fisherman and it sure does have it good parts about it and im very lucky to have such a job... Ill get a photo of the esky for you guys when I get back... Hopefully it should open a few eyes
:)

A mate of mine used to plant 1 banana on his competitor's boats in fishing comps. Then ring them and tell them there was another one. Effective apparently. He used to win a few.

All 3 rules are good advice.

I just noticed that my brown shorts with blue stripes must be my lucky fishing shorts because I have them on in both of my pictures.

I just noticed that my brown shorts with blue stripes must be my lucky fishing shorts because I have them on in both of my pictures.

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who had lucky fishing clothes :O The shirt with the snapper I wore with that, my biggest mackerel my 28kg cobia and my best trout :O hahahaha

I fish every weekend, and unfortunately I don't have any photos but last year I caught a 1m and 80cm shovel nose ray (I am 11 years old) a hell of a fight as they stick to the bottom

I fish every weekend, and unfortunately I don't have any photos but last year I caught a 1m and 80cm shovel nose ray (I am 11 years old) a hell of a fight as they stick to the bottom

Yeah they like to dig in to the bottom... Nice and big for what they are :p

yeah took me five miniuts lol

Tristan, most of my fishing is done in the Northern Bay and she is far from dead, I always come home with a good feed, pays to fish on weekdays though, the weekend crowds can make fishing a bit tougher...

Yeah well thats fair enough everybody has a different perception on what dead means for there :p Yeah I know all the weekend warriors out on the weekends :L What are you fishing, like scarbourough or heading out towards ammo barge way?

I love fishing but never get to catch anything big. Here are a few of my 'trophy' shots from last year, never mind that they all had to be thrown back :p (yes a photo got taken regardless of size or species lol)
qygu6e5y.jpg

ymebudu2.jpg

y5u3a6e9.jpg

Mate, I have probably been fishing the bay for longer than you have been alive and I still catch as many and sometimes more (due to experience) fish than I caught 20 years ago, a long way from dead and to be honest has probably improved in the last 5 years.

Yes I fish Scarby for snapper quite regularly in the mornings during the cooler months before heading out into the open bay for Longtail tuna.

Through the warmer months I fish for cobes and mackerel around the beacons or spottie macks on the surface, or you might find me up a creek or canal somewhere targeting jacks. I also like to hit the Brissie river for threadfin and jew when I feel the urge.

I also have a bit of a passion for eging (squid fishing), they are always good fun to catch and great on the chew.

100 % of my fish are caught luring or occasionally on fly.

First fish my sister(12) caught was a wobbegong shark... While her and dad are doing that, I prefer to go around and collect all the hooks and line people leave around:x

- - - Updated - - -

I love fishing but never get to catch anything big. Here are a few of my 'trophy' shots from last year, never mind that they all had to be thrown back :p (yes a photo got taken regardless of size or species lol)

y5u3a6e9.jpg
Love this one

Mate, I have probably been fishing the bay for longer than you have been alive and I still catch as many and sometimes more (due to experience) fish than I caught 20 years ago, a long way from dead and to be honest has probably improved in the last 5 years.

Yes I fish Scarby for snapper quite regularly in the mornings during the cooler months before heading out into the open bay for Longtail tuna.

Through the warmer months I fish for cobes and mackerel around the beacons or spottie macks on the surface, or you might find me up a creek or canal somewhere targeting jacks. I also like to hit the Brissie river for threadfin and jew when I feel the urge.

I also have a bit of a passion for eging (squid fishing), they are always good fun to catch and great on the chew.

100 % of my fish are caught luring or occasionally on fly.

Exactly true, if you fish the area long enough you will have an idea on whats going on... If you fish the bay for as long as you say then you should be catching what you say...

The 4 shipping beacons are can be a hit and miss at times though, heading that out across the bay and find that it is packed with little or no fish and other days you can be out there and nobody is out there and the spotties are just chewing their heads off... We use to fish the bay and dont get me wrong there is still a fish or two out there, its just the persistence. Everybody have different experiences and thats what people have to cater for. See like I hate that fly stuff -.- tried it a few times and just ended up being a mess... I have always wanted to take a fly rod up north on the reefs with me for the shallows. The way you fish for down here to up there is a lot different and really I have no choose in which way I fish up there, its what the boss says and you have to follow. If you dont like the way he fishes then you dont fish on his boat, quite simple. oh the squid... oh wow, up there at 1770 the deck lights are on and the squid are in packs all around the boat, its unreal... Although i do like to fish for them over on moreton bay since you actaully have to fish for them not just scoop them up :p

Last edited:
There's allot more beacons in the bay than the 4 beacons, I think everybody knows and fishes the 4 beacons, it can be a good spot but I don't fish it often as there are better beacons to fish.
I have fished plenty up north and it can be easier at times but I would not say better, definitely more expensive though, no need to fish it differently, the fish up there respond to exactly the same techniques as we use down here.
I'm happy to fish the bay, don't need to go anywhere else, I always catch more fish than my family and I could ever eat and I practice allot of catch and release...

Just got back from up north last night. Left Friday morning and fished from then until yesterday morning. Still got all of the usual fish and more. Got the reds, trout, spanish and even found some long tail just outside the harbour and some other reefies.

Coral Trout
vrc383.jpg

22 Kg Cobia
i2ulh1.jpg

Red Emperor
2q907te.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back