Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James.Grosser

Reaction score
Hello all,Wanting to get a snake and thinking either of these two, i am new to snakes and am only 15 and was wondering which would be better for me, right now i have an aquarium that is 90 or 91 cm long, is this big enough for a carpet? Which do you think would be better for me?Cheers

Welcome to APS James.
The answer to your questions depend on the age/size of the snakes.
If you're asking about adults, then a 90 cm enclosure is too small to be ideal as a permanent home for an adult Carpet Python.
So a Spotted Python would be a better choice for this reason, as well as being a more manageable size for beginners new to snakes. Just make sure to check the individual temperament.

Last edited:
Ok might stick with the spotted then, saw some carpet at the field days today and they were quite big, also what should i use for the floor, and do spotted pythons like to climb? And thanks for the welcome :)

thanks

Mate mine never leaves its hide unless I grab it out. Can use newspaper for bedding. , I use Aspen wood shavings.

Make sure its got a hide at each end and water and it will he fine.

Mine only wants to explore when I let it out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

my first was a carpet and it scared the crap outa me so i got a macci learnt to love them now have 8 and most of them carpets so id recomend a macci just do alot of research b4 geting anything

Which of the childrens group is the largest length and girth wise? Also for the tank i have left over gear from the fish tank which includes 2 fake hollow logs, a large smoothish flat rock (which i will put in the hot end seems like a good basking spot :) ) and a large rough rock stacked on some small rocks aswell as some other small smooth rocks and the floor is just gravel. Will the rough rock injure the snake? I have read its good to have a rough surface when it comes time to shed, also i dont think the gravel would hold heat too well so what would be an alternative substrate as i would like a 'natural' look. Sorry about all the questions

cheers

1: largest of the ants is the spotted python
2: if your getting a hatchling I'd strong recommend keeping it in a click clack setup for at least it's first 6 months of life. Click clacks are incredibly easy and inexpensive to make. Here is a great guide on how to make one. http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/noteworthy-threads-5397/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/
3: yes a rough surface is good to have as it aids in shed
4: news paper is the best substrate as it is cheap and easy to clean, however I use kritters krumble for my stimsons and I've never had a problem.
5: I'm also 15 and the best advice I can give you is firstly get what you like the appeal of, yet also make sure you have enough room and money so you can look after it properly. Also make sure you do a lot of research. If it was me I would advise waiting until around October/November/December until all the antaresia start hatching and in the meantime do lots of research and make sure you have everything set up perfectly. It's also a good idea to invest in a trustworthy thermostat as it will easily last a long time. Most of all though just enjoy looking after your snake. Btw this will definitely not be your first and last snake!

James,

Having had Coastals as a young boy in the 1960s, I can only say that the experience was great. Both (sex unknown) had good temperaments, even the smaller 1.5m which escaped and was on the loose for over 12 months.

I have recently come back to Coastals with a purchase last week of two 2.5m plus animals, male and female and am thoroughly enjoying seeing them interact temporarily during the breeding season. It is amazing to see them spending time closely together while in the same enclosure.

I am using artificial turf as a substrate and find it easy to clean and it looks good. You just need to ensure you have a few bits cut to size so you can regularly wash and dry it. There are a number of posts on this subject.

My 10 year old daughter has a 1m Bredli and though he had a couple of nips of her some time ago, he appears to be getting more placid as time goes on, perhaps feeling less scared as he grows, as suggested above. Initially I put him in a wooden box, with heating and thermostat and he seemed to thrive in that. It had good ventilation and a small Perspex viewing panel, which also let some light in.

I would certainly recommend a Coastal but you will need to go to a bigger enclosure if you get a larger specimen or when a smaller one grows.

Hi James, i got my first snake over 10 months ago, she is a woma python, when i was deciding on what snake i wanted, i looked at many different species including jungles, childrens, coastals and stimsons. When i finally decided what species i wanted i did tons of research on how to look after them, their behaviour ect. My advice is to research what species you like, and find out everything about them.

Also when you say fish tank, im it has an open top, snakes are 'escape artists' and will try to find through even the tiniest of holes.

Yea it has like an open top with glass cover lids but was thinking of making something up with flyscreen mesh :)

- - - Updated - - -

Was also thinking if i decide/and allowed (by mum :p) to get a carpet, a murray darling in particular i could even make a larger tank myself in tech to the right size for the python :)

Yea it has like an open top with glass cover lids but was thinking of making something up with flyscreen mesh :)

- - - Updated - - -

Was also thinking if i decide/and allowed (by mum :p) to get a carpet, a murray darling in particular i could even make a larger tank myself in tech to the right size for the python :)

I have my jungle hatchie in a fishtank with a mesh lid if you'd like me take a pic to give you an idea on how to construct it :)

Hey James, welcome to APS.
If you want to you can make a cage very easily out of a TV cabinet, I've made 2 cages out of a TV cabinet and they're great!(IMO)
I got my first snake about 4 years ago (when I was 9) and it was a spotted python, they are great first snakes and are very hardy. Easy to keep and maintain, just make sure you have some hides(at least 2) and you have a good a substrate and a water bowl (I use breeders choice substrate for all of my reptiles) and have a couple of branches or logs like you said. You don't need that rough rock if you've got branches;)

BTW
You'll probably get the bug like most people do,
I've got 4 snakes and a bluey :)

Last edited:
That would be good if you could send a pic lawra :) and i really like the looks of the murray darlings, mainly the pattern and the big heads :) but im not too sure that mum is too keen on a snake that can get to around 2 meters :p

After a massive amount of research, I actually decided to get a carpet python as my first reptile. He's still not huge, I've only had him for a year thus far, but he's been an absolute dream to care for in that time. Always happy to eat, but has never been difficult to handle or crazy defensive (even while hungry, and even when removing him from his enclosure). He's just the most placid thing.

I've been in the process of converting a TV cabinet, as someone else here mentioned, into a larger enclosure for him. It's pretty easy to find cheap (sometimes free) TV cabinets that people are just trying to get rid of, and it's great for an enclosure, as most of the hard work is already done!

If you find carpet pythons more appealing, and you can get the permission & appropriately sized enclosure, I say go for a carpet python. I'm not the only person around here that started with a carpet python, they can make a fantastic first reptile as long as you know what you're getting into. So of course, it all comes back to the golden rule of getting any new pet: RESEARCH. Research like crazy. Research until your head feels like it's going to explode, and then research some more. Honestly, it's the most common advice you'll get, and the reason for that is that is it SO important and so often overlooked in the excitement.

All that said, welcome to the obsession-- err, hobby* (easy typo to make). Whatever you decide, be sure and let us know :D preferably with pictures... We love pictures...

x

Will gravel be good to use as a substrate? Fish aquarium type gravel but not coloured

- - - Updated - - -

Just wandering because i just cleaned the aquarium and the gravel so just wandering if i should put the gravel back in the tank?

i would just stick to newspaper/kritters krumble or something along those lines, much easier to pass if accidentally ingested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back