Scale Discolouration

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littlemay

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed in the past two days that a couple of scales near my pythons mouth appear discoloured and slightly inflamed.

He fed well on a medium rat 4 days ago and shed just over a week ago. His behaviour hasn't been any different and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

I did consider scale rot, however his enclosure is generally very dry and he has access to a 32 degree basking ledge. His last shed was complete as well. I have had him on critters crumble substrate for over a year without an issue.

Any ideas?

(first pic of other side of mouth for reference)

nei4nr.jpg

2ypdmbc.jpg

21157d2.jpg

If he's still eating dont be to concerned I'd just keep a eye on it and if it gets worse go to the vet mate have you looked inside the mouth?

I did have a bit of a look when he yawned the other day and i couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just a bit worried that this is the very early stages of some sort of bacterial infection, in which case i would like to get on top of it sooner rather than later..

There is a good herp vet in Wollongong he charges 25 for a check up he's reAly good I'd just go to be on the safe side I have never seen anything like it if he's still eating

I do have David Vella 20 minutes away, but thank you for the recommendation!

Still interested to know if anyone has any idea what it might be.

- - - Updated - - -

So still no change, no better, no worse.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Ok so it's gotten increasingly more inflamed over the past few days, have made an appointment tomorrow with David Vella to see what's going on.

An update for those following or those looking for a solution in the future:

David advised that this is not scale rot, but rather a small lesion which has become infected. Considering that i first noticed the discolouration two days after a feed it seems likely that the initial cut occurred during feeding, perhaps by a claw or tooth. I was instructed to use betadine ointment on the infection daily and to return for treatment if the infection continues to spread or impedes feeding.

It's difficult to tell with the lighting, however in just the few days since i posted last the area has become noticeably worse.

15346j9.jpg

If I may please enquire, what strength Betadine were you advised and how do you use it? How did you go with the treatment? You can certainly see how it was spreading.

Blue

Hi Blue,

I did enquire about the dilution and application of the betadine specifically. I was told to use the ointment rather than the liquid, and to apply a small amount directly to the infection using a cotton swab.

Since i have been doing this the infection does not appear to have spread any further, but it is not clearing up either.

- - - Updated - - -

Still feeding without a problem though.

Thanks for replying. It sounds to me that what might have happened is that the cut has sealed over on top but retained some minute particles of dirt or what ever inside. Enough to house some bacteria a long with it being a foreign body. I have had the same happen to my skin a few times. I use a plastic scouring pad under running water to open up the cut and clean it. The cut usually bleeds freely I tend to give it a squeeze or two as extra insurance and then a squirt of Betadine ointment straight into the open cut and a bandaid quickly over the top. Works a treat. Bettadine is a particularly effective antiseptic – killing bacteria, viruses and even the odd cell. But it has to be in contact. In fact, any small cuts I get these days I clean up with the scouring pad before dressing them. And they all heal quickly.

However, continue to follow the vet’s instructions. The metabolism of reptile skin is somewhat different to humans.

Blue

Ok, so there have been developments.

Two new areas have become an issue. In just 3-4 days two red lumps have formed, one on the spine, the other on the belly. Took Snuffles back to the vet tonight and they are concerned these might be abscesses. He's been started on fortum every three days for the next thirty days, if no improvement a biopsy may be necessary.

Poor ol' buddy :(

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/python-bumps-lumps-skin-96385/page/2

This is EXACTLY what Snuffles has - possible blister disease??

Will try and get pics up of the new lumps tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back