Stimson python not pooing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm8

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
ive had my 12mth old Stimson since the 31st of August. Since having him I've handled him every day (except 2 days after feeds). He fed on pinky rats on the 6/9 and 16/9 but hasn't done a poo yet. I've even let him out on the floor for a good 10minutes as I've read how getting them active can help. His basking temp is 33 and ground hide temp is 25. Just curious if I should be getting concerned? Should I be doing something that I'm not?

Thanks in advance
Cam

go see a vet. do you see him down the hot side of the enclosure much? if not turn it down a couple degrees and he might go there now, as it might not be to hot for him. as heat helps with digestive system.

If he hasnt fed for a while over winter and you have only fed him two pinky rats he may have just digested them with little noticeable waste. Temps are fine. If you have it on paper check for waste in the hide or under the paper. If it is on a deeper substrate you may not see it. There arent a lot of nutrients in a pinky rat and very little waste after a time without food. Switch to fuzzy mice and you should see more waste with the hair and more bones in the diet.
If its still eating I wouldnt worry just yet. Also make sure it has plenty of clean water.

Don't stress yet , we worried about such things with our first snake but were told basically that its not a dog it will poo when its ready .They sometimes wont go for 2 or 3 weeks if coming p to a slough and give you a package inside the old skin .

Every time I handle him and put him back in he goes straight to the hot spot. He likes to sit on the probe from the thermometer. But in the morning he will be back in his fern or hide. I was thinking if he doesn't before his next feed ill be going straight to the vet. Just because I've read that some snakes tend to only poo every 3-4 weeks. Therefore if he reaches another feed thats 4 weeks with me.

go see a vet. do you see him down the hot side of the enclosure much? if not turn it down a couple degrees and he might go there now, as it might not be to hot for him. as heat helps with digestive system.
Rubbish!!!
James and Born have Said it all :lol:

Oh ok. Yeah I've been contemplating going up to fuzzys. He's in the wood chips for reptiles and I took him out before and had a good look through it.

He is due for a shed going by his records. He's been shedding every 2 and half months and his last was 15/6 therefore he should have one anytime now. Isn't showing any signs of it tho as he's still very happy. I put him on my shoulders and head for the first time tonight and he just wrapped around the back of my neck happy as larry.

yes it is lol iv lost my marbles a long time ago. potatoes

I must say I love this forums. Everyone is always so quick and nice to help, and very understanding. Just want to say another big thank you to you all because now I don't have to stress like I have been. Definitely going to fuzzies for his next feed.

Thank you again.
Cam

If he is "constipated", placing him in a tub with an inch or so of warm water and then letting him exercise on the lawn could help him pass it. If they haven't taken in enough water, this can happen.

The heating/gradient could be incorrect (placement or temperature) or not providing enough fresh water - i.e. not changing the water often enough.

Does it shed well?

Sometimes if they have an impaction, you can see a slight bulge near their vent - also by shining a torch in this area you can usually see a dark spot near the end of their tale if the excrement is just sitting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back