Vivariums/Paludariums?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've become increasingly interested and fascinated by some of the stunning Vivariums and Paludariums that I've seen around. Being a little bored around the house, I decided it was time I take on a new project. My parents aren't super happy with letting me get more reptiles but my Mum is a keen gardener so she was pretty impressed with these stunning mini habitats.
I just have a few question about creating one. I understand the false bottom and will be using the empty bottom and egg crate method if I can get my hands on them.
I'd just like a bit of clarification on how to install plants on the back wall and just how to set up the back wall in general. As in, should I make a styrofoam/expandafoam background and maybe create little 'plant pot' type things so I can grow things off the background? Or should I create a vertical type garden thing and secure it to the back of the tank? Or is it possible I could create a back board with logs and similar bits and pieces and grow some plants from some cavities etc?
If someone could point me in the right direction of where to go I'd appreciate it.

Also, in regards to the false bottom, I'd be keen to have a little pool or area of water visible. How do I make it so that the water is the same water being filtered and pumped from under the false bottom, yet separate the parts so that fish can be just in the pool and not able to get into under the false bottom. I'd also not want to be able to see a barrier under the water that divides the false bottom area from the pool area. how would I go around making all that happen? Hopefully that makes some sense...? It confuses me and I wrote it :/

I'll attach some pics to get the message of what I would like to know how to do. Please note that theses are NOT my images and I don't take any credit for them.
Vivarium0201_141.jpg
This is what I was kinda getting at in regards to planting the background (on a smaller more amateur scale)

3247990901_17b853e7b1_b.jpg
This is where I was heading with being able to have a little pool type thing but have it combined with the water under the false bottom yet with an aesthetically pleasing barrier that would keep fish in the designated area...?

I know I'm asking a lot but if anyone has info to share I'd really appreciate it!!! Also any tips on good filters that aren't too visible and a pump that I could use to make a little waterfall type thing that falls into the pool?

I understand its a huge project and it will cost a lot when I account for the tank, lighting, pump, filtration, plants etc etc, the list goes on! However, I'd love to have a go and I'm only gonna learn from trying. Hopefully I will pull it off and have plants growing and filling in. Could need some X'mas prezzies though...

Thank guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back