Jungle Python Rescue Help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiBeck

Reaction score
Hi guys
My friend and i have come across an ad for a python that is in HORRIBLE condition, it has dry shed all over it and its scales look all dry and white and flakey, and there's pieces of shed on it and it generally looks horrible.
On top of that the enclosure is just a tank with bark, dirt and some wood, and a broken plastic bottle as ornament.
Has a heat pad but no sign of a water dish or anything else...

So anyway we have called the guy and he said his ex left it or something, and that he feeds it EVERY SECOND DAY and it is aggressive. No wonder he's aggressive, he thinks everything is food!!
The guy has offered to give away the snake as he isn't even licensed to keep it, but is checking with his ex first. Will have to get movement advice from her.

I have a picture from the ad but don't think i am allowed to post it on the forum.

So i am after some help and advice from the community as i may need it. My friend is coming with me to pick up the snake and pay the money if he isn't allowed to give it away, and help me settle it in, but after that i only get help via phone call or text or he will come over if its an emergency. He cannot keep the snake at his place as he has too many other snakes that are all males.

The snake (Steve) is a jungle python and is approx 5 and 1/2 feet long.
Going to feed him on a chicken or jumbo rat every 7 days.
Will take him to vet if he looks in bad enough shape.
Will be in a 40Ltr storage tub until i work out what i will do with him-NOT LONG-TERM

Let me know if you have any advice!!
Becky

No hides, incorrect husbandry ie temps humidity etc can also cause a snake to be defensive. Unless the thing is striking and coiling it doesnt think everything is food

No hides, incorrect husbandry ie temps humidity etc can also cause a snake to be defensive. Unless the thing is striking and coiling it doesnt think everything is food
Yeah i meant that it thinks it is going to be fed whenever someone is there, i don't know what he does in terms of striking/biting because we haven't been to see him yet :(

checking with the ex....? WHY?
If hes not licensed is he allowed to sell it?
Is the ex licensed? I'm tipping not.
Call WIRES

checking with the ex....? WHY?
If hes not licensed is he allowed to sell it?
Is the ex licensed? I'm tipping not.
Call WIRES
My friend is doing the buying and contacting, i'm just caring for it, i am not sure, just assuming that the ex or whoever actually has a license. I am just going off what he says, sorry.. :(
WIRES is NSW and i am in QLD

So call DERM here in Qld. They legally can't sell it they're not licensed and obviously that means you legally can't buy it. Unless of course the snake is on license to the ex. If its husbandry needs haven't been met I'd be concerned there are any ongoing health issues it may have bit that's just me personally. Good luck. If your just buying it to help it and you don't have space for it currently yourself, wouldn't it better to go to DERM where it could be looked after and rehomed sufficiently.

I'm surprised the dude didn't just let it out into the back yard, as so many inexperienced people do, poor thing, I would ring DERM before I do anything and get their advice...this is very sad and I would be sending DERM after the EX for the very poor and cruel treatment of the poor python and I would also take the python straight to the vet, he sounds like he's in very bad shape, and no need to feed super sized food, two x large rats per feed 14 to 21 days apart would be sufficient :) hope it turns out ok for you and the python :)

I'm surprised the dude didn't just let it out into the back yard, as so many inexperienced people do, poor thing, I would ring DERM before I do anything and get their advice...this is very sad and I would be sending DERM after the EX for the very poor and cruel treatment of the poor python and I would also take the python straight to the vet, he sounds like he's in very bad shape, and no need to feed super sized food, two x large rats per feed 14 to 21 days apart would be sufficient :) hope it turns out ok for you and the python :)

Well yeah, update: the guy said to my friend that he has come home and the lid was 'accidently' left off enclosure and the snake is now GONE.
Not suss at all...!!
Bloody hell.

Yeah because his ex would of told him she doesn't have a licence and he can't sell it legally. Its a shame as the python had a nice home to go to with someone that obviously cares for it but now it has to suffer because of the owners dodgy dealings. It only costs like 67 dollars for a licence here what the hell is wrong with some people.

Last edited:
Yeah because his ex would of told him she doesn't have a licence and he can't sell it legally. Its a shame as the python had a nice home to go to with someone that obviously cares for it but now it has to suffer because of the owners dodgy dealings. It only costs like 67 dollars for a licence here *** is wrong with some people.

The ex had a license and was going to do the movement forms for us, my friend contacted him and he confirmed that...

I know...people these days!

The ex had a license and was going to do the movement forms for us, my friend contacted him and he confirmed that...

I know...people these days!

I doubt he would of told your friend that she didn't have a licence and so he can't get rid of it.

Only other thing I could think of is maybe shes just childish and once he said he was giving her snake away she decided she liked it after all and doesn't want anyone else to have it. Even tho she neglected it and left it with someone that had no idea how to care for it.

Either way she sounds like a ..... Lol

I doubt he would of told your friend that she didn't have a licence and so he can't get rid of it.

Only other thing I could think of is maybe shes just childish and once he said he was giving her snake away she decided she liked it after all and doesn't want anyone else to have it. Even tho she neglected it and left it with someone that had no idea how to care for it.

Either way she sounds like a ..... Lol

Yep.
It was for sale on Gumtree but he found out it was in bad shape and said he'd give it away..

Well either way i hope he is okay wherever he is!

Id call DERM all the more now with the details you have and the pics for them to investigate. That isnt on.

I saw this add today and I must say I thought poor snake :( did not look good.

If I had a snake in such obvious poor condition I certainly wouldn't be trying to sell it! infact I woukld be too ashamed to even give it away. It really should have been moved on before it came to this. Good on u for helping it I hope the poor thing has a happy ending.

Last edited:
I saw this add today and I must say I thought poor snake :( did not look good.

If I had a snake in such obvious poor condition I certainly wouldn't be trying to sell it! infact I woukld be too ashamed to even give it away. It really should have been moved on before it came to this. Good on u for helping it I hope the poor thing has a happy ending.

Sorry for the late reply
Thankyou very much for that, really cheered up my night. I know it is such a shame...hopefully he's out there pigging out on rats and rubbing that shed off on a log and having a bath in a creek or something haha

It is actually illegal in Queensland to sell or give away a sick or injured reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back