Water Python Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooo I'd forgotten about this thread.. Might as well pop a few pictures of my little swimmer!

20130920_134841_zps78da7733.jpg

This is Sierra, my gorgeous Water Python. Love her to pieces. I'll have to get some updated pictures of her messing around and swimming sometime, when she's in the mood and I have a camera ready.

20130920_135435_zpsd4733530.jpg

Oh I also feel I should add, she's easily as placid and snugglesome as Floyd (my Cape York Carpet, who is an absolute snugglestick). Look at that little face.. How could anyone be afraid of this! (unless you're a rat... then the fear is 100% justifiable. She LOVES her some food)

20130920_135235_zpsd37d8c91.jpg

She's usually very calm and relaxed, though occasionally (rarely) she can get a little nervous when out and about. When she is, her response isn't to bite, but to try and hide herself (usually in my hair or up my sleeve..) and if she wants to hide somewhere, there's no stopping her.. She is FAST. I swear she has supersnake speed, she can zip from your lap up into your hair in the blink of an eye. In fact I plan to buy her a cape just as soon as I find one her size!

20130920_1402230_zps14f301eb.jpg

I'm currently still in the process of getting her used to grass... She hasn't spent a huge amount of time outside on the grass because of all the Kookaburras in our area, and for some reason she seems quite.. well, petrified of the stuff. As soon as I set her down on the grass, she darts for the nearest non-grassy surface (including me). I've never seen a python move as fast as Sierra when she's placed on grass.

20130920_140307_zps0072334b.jpg

I have managed to get her to sit still for a couple photos after about half an hour of lawn-time. Hopefully with a little time she'll learn to love lawn-time as much as Floyd does.

Anyhoo, come on guys! More Water Python pictures!

x

Last edited:
when i put my feet on the coffee table and watch tv my Bella likes to get onto my legs and watch TV too

here is another pic of mine, as soon as he sees anything that moves he is ready lol

the same he strikes at anything that moves, goes nuts really even bites himself trying to get me lol

I have two water pythons (who have been nick named Mr n Mrs Bi- Polar) actually Trevor n Kylie ...but they give me that' houso' lovin,all nice one minute ,have a good time kicking back with each other ...then next they wanna throw a brick at my head because I looked at them in a funny way ...must admit though its good trying to figure out 'whats in the attitude box today' ...

Hi guys, I just tried too feed the crazy water python and he striked and coiled around the mouse straight away and squeezed it for a minute or so then just went back into his hide and didnt eat it? Has anyone else seen their snake do this?
Will upload a vid soon if its not too big.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I just tried too feed the crazy water python and he striked and coiled around the mouse straight away and squeezed it for a minute or so then just went back into his hide and didnt eat it? Has anyone else seen their snake do this?

Yes, my Sierra has done this once in the past. She would strike and wrap, and after a minute or so she'd release the rat and crawl away. I tried several times that afternoon, with the same end result. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I wouldn't be alarmed. Just wait until tomorrow and offer him another feed, he'll likely take it, mine did.

Will upload a vid soon if its not too big.

Mine does that if she's in shed mode

- - - Updated - - -

the same he strikes at anything that moves, goes nuts really even bites himself trying to get me lol

how old is your water python?

- - - Updated - - -

I have two water pythons (who have been nick named Mr n Mrs Bi- Polar) actually Trevor n Kylie ...but they give me that' houso' lovin,all nice one minute ,have a good time kicking back with each other ...then next they wanna throw a brick at my head because I looked at them in a funny way ...must admit though its good trying to figure out 'whats in the attitude box today' ...

how old is your water python as mine she is 2 and a half and shes the most placid thing ever only strikes you when shes in the enclosure just after a feed but thats it otherwise she is so gentle

It's because your in its space watching it! I've bred a few waters over the years and if I disturbed any of the hatchys while there eating they'll stop, give it the mouse, n leave it alone for half hour, even put a towl over it so as not to disturb it.

Baby waters.

image.jpgimage.jpg Here are some pic from last years Qld L.fuscus breeding. Does anybody keep Liasis mackloti NT locality water pythons? Please share some pics if you do? Cheers Nathan

It's because your in its space watching it! I've bred a few waters over the years and if I disturbed any of the hatchys while there eating they'll stop, give it the mouse, n leave it alone for half hour, even put a towl over it so as not to disturb it.

I do have towels covering the enclosure. I did leave him there too eat it. After the vid stops I put the towels back over and left him alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine does that if she's in shed mode

- - - Updated - - -

how old is your water python?

- - - Updated - - -

how old is your water python as mine she is 2 and a half and shes the most placid thing ever only strikes you when shes in the enclosure just after a feed but thats it otherwise she is so gentle

He is 6 or 7 months old ATM.

If he dosnt eat after half hour or so get him to grab it again n repeat a few times if u have to, try after dark aswell! If it still didn't eat wait a week, n try again, if it hasn't eatin in 3 or 4 weeks throw a live mouse in n leave it over night

If he dosnt eat after half hour or so get him to grab it again n repeat a few times if u have to, try after dark aswell! If it still didn't eat wait a week, n try again, if it hasn't eatin in 3 or 4 weeks throw a live mouse in n leave it over night

I'm probably showing my lack of experience here, but wouldn't there be some risks involved in leaving a live mouse in with the python unsupervised? I've seen some pretty cringe-worthy pictures of mice/rats fighting back. Unless of course you mean a pinky, in which case that should probably be clarified; would hate for someone to misunderstand and for something to go wrong.

Last edited:
Yer a weaner would be fine, waters are very aggressive tho! Even an adult mouse, once bitten will stay clear of a water, and seeing as it does strike and constrict, worse case it'll just kill it and not eat it, but once it has killed it it mite spend an hour or 2 working how to eat it which is why it mite be a good idea to leave it awhile alone.

Yer a weaner would be fine, waters are very aggressive tho! Even an adult mouse, once bitten will stay clear of a water, and seeing as it does strike and constrict, worse case it'll just kill it and not eat it, but once it has killed it it mite spend an hour or 2 working how to eat it which is why it mite be a good idea to leave it awhile alone.

haha good point. Personally I'd never leave my Sierra unattended with a live adult mouse, partly because she's still pretty small, but mostly because she's also so placid and doesn't slam her food as hard as most water pythons do.

Anyhoo, let us know how your little critter gets on, duz :)

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back