Is this a prelay shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skakonyi

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guy I was just wondering if someone could help? I placed two pairs together 11days ago and I have witnessed both pairs hooking up, now both girls are going into a shed and I was wondering would this likely be a pre-lay shed or just a regular shed. Both the girls are new so I am unsure of their regular shedding times as I wasn't given any records and as this is my first attempt at breeding I am unsure of what should be happen.

They were cooled and separated and I have seen them hooked up

Both girls are new so unsure of shedding times? Guessing quarantine periods didnt happen either you obviously have a lot of faith in who you received the girls off

They are Diamonds, I actually bought them as pairs so they are being quarinteened away from the rest of my collection. However, as the pairs came from the same location I didn't see the harm of putting them together.

If they were only put together 11 days ago it is highly doubtful they would already be gravid and going into pre-lay, would also be a bit early for diamonds as it is only near the beginning of their mating season.

There is no observable difference between a regular slough and a pre-lay slough that I know of. As Swampie said it's unlikely, with them being Diamonds at this time of year.

no if they mated once 11 days ago. id be very doubtful its a prelay

Most diamonds have a pre breeding shed. My male had no interest in my girl until he shed then he couldn't get enough.
Cheers JT

Hey jake,
Do you introduce and remove your males periodically during the mating season (1 week on 2 off) or once they are introduced you leave them together?

Most diamonds have a pre breeding shed. My male had no interest in my girl until he shed then he couldn't get enough.
Cheers JT

I think it would be fair to say that all males shed before they breed, some days weeks or months before, however I am not sure that it influences their fecundity.

Intros

Hey jake,
Do you introduce and remove your males periodically during the mating season (1 week on 2 off) or once they are introduced you leave them together?

too early for diamonds as swampie said. mine usually lay between xmas and new year. paired end of august, prelay start of dec. housed outdoors. only separated to offer small feeds to the girls then returned. all in together( they like group sex). and they breed every year. works for me

Is this statement from just one observation?

Jamie

all my snakes go through a pre mating shed, some males are not interested until after they have shed, females the same. then after 2 months of mating they ovulate and another couple weeks or so after that they pre lay shed it doesn't happen straight away.

I've never herd of a pre mating shed in everyones experience is this only done by the females? What sp. do this

yeah I don't know whether its an actual pre mating shed. spose you could call it that. 1 of my diamond males shed a couple weeks ago the other one this week. albino male shed in may just b4 breeding

I leave my male in with the female until he starts to lose interest. If he loses interest which happens after a while i will rest him for a 5-7 days. I have experienced the pre breeding sheds. And have talked to a person who told me this will happen. His diamonds all shed before breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back