Ultimate Herp room - inspire me!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlpreston

Reaction score
I need help to form a plan for a Herp 'room' on our (soon to be) new property.

Would love to hear what other people would want, what you have done, what you would do differently/not do at all.

Anything from size/shape/location to wall colour/floor covering/luxury doo-dads!

Don't have a budget or space restraint (within reason, I'm not a secret millionaire!). The land is 5.5 acres so planning a separate building to house Assorted scaly things :)

Tell me what you dream of and inspire me to 'encourage' my husband to build the ultimate Herp room for me! :)

I found these online:

u8azeme6.jpg

Now I feel like I need to work in wall tiles somewhere lol

Am wanting a sink to run tank water so this could be the splash back for that maybe :)

I love those tiles (though I'd get them in an olive green colour) and the whole wooden feel of the reptile room pic! :)
Personally I love the whole natural vibe, so I'd go and make it feel like I've brought the outside in (if you know what I mean).In the end it really depends on what you like though! :)

If you plan on having a multistory house, and you wanted a display tank actually in the house and not the herp room I found this pic:

15797pic7.jpg

Or if you wanted to have the tanks setups be the eye candy, and not the necessarily the whole room, you could do something like this:

Tanks.jpg

Personally I think that lighting should be a big consideration, no matter how you style the room... because the lights will draw your attention to where you want the eyes to go. - So if you have a room like in your op, you'd want the lights to be bright with few shadows being cast, so that you can see all of the splendid beauty. But if you wanted to create a bit of a dramatic atmosphere, choose to have the lights in more specialized locations to show off those areas.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I hope you have lots of awesome fun decorating your herp room! :D

P.S - If you end up wanting lovely unique decorations, furniture, or really anything else, try looking on etsy.com. - It is a website dedicated to artistically inclined people, who want to sell their wares. (I'm just addicted to this site at the moment! :D)

I love those tiles (though I'd get them in an olive green colour) and the whole wooden feel of the reptile room pic! :)
Personally I love the whole natural vibe, so I'd go and make it feel like I've brought the outside in (if you know what I mean).In the end it really depends on what you like though! :)

If you plan on having a multistory house, and you wanted a display tank actually in the house and not the herp room I found this pic:

15797pic7.jpg

Or if you wanted to have the tanks setups be the eye candy, and not the necessarily the whole room, you could do something like this:

Tanks.jpg

Personally I think that lighting should be a big consideration, no matter how you style the room... because the lights will draw your attention to where you want the eyes to go. - So if you have a room like in your op, you'd want the lights to be bright with few shadows being cast, so that you can see all of the splendid beauty. But if you wanted to create a bit of a dramatic atmosphere, choose to have the lights in more specialized locations to show off those areas.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I hope you have lots of awesome fun decorating your herp room! :D

P.S - If you end up wanting lovely unique decorations, furniture, or really anything else, try looking on etsy.com. - It is a website dedicated to artistically inclined people, who want to sell their wares. (I'm just addicted to this site at the moment! :D)

Etsy is very bad for my bank balance! :)

I'm thinking a separate building (probably an insulated shed with plastered walls inside) so lighting will be important.

I thought maybe a 'care corner' (sink, fridge/freezer etc) but tucked away behind an enclosure bank so that it isn't so visible when I take guests in there.

There are too many options!

I found these online:

u8azeme6.jpg

Am wanting a sink to run tank water so this could be the splash back for that maybe :)

Do a feature wall with them, that would look nice as you walk into the room.

in my opinion a good herp room should be practicable. A sink, a small freezer/fridge and easy clean tiles on floor. Then seperate to this you can have a feature area which would display all your enclosures. I would have a nice comfy sofa in there and some good ventilation fans that can be switched on when needed. Make sure the room is properly insulated with lots of powerpoints.

To add to the separate insulated building and others ideas you could look at solar panels.

Thank you for the replies!

in my opinion a good herp room should be practicable. A sink, a small freezer/fridge and easy clean tiles on floor. Then seperate to this you can have a feature area which would display all your enclosures. I would have a nice comfy sofa in there and some good ventilation fans that can be switched on when needed. Make sure the room is properly insulated with lots of powerpoints.

All good points to remember there, thanks.

What are people's thoughts on keeping cool in north east Vic summers? Would it need a split system or is there a better way?

To add to the separate insulated building and others ideas you could look at solar panels.

We are building our home on the block with solar, could we get away with running the main power out or would a separate unit be better?

Thanks so much for the ideas :)

I found these online:

u8azeme6.jpg

Where can you get these??? PM me a link please???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back