Reptile husbandry in animal parks ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what others think and how they feel about this.

I understand that the animals are on display so that the public can view them but I feel that these creatures should be able to retreat to a hide when needed.

I visited such a park a few days ago and I really felt sorry for the animals - one had a very bad shed and could have done with a little help from a keeper.
Others were going into shed and had nowhere to retreat to. Most enclosures had multiple snakes in them, one had a couple of lizards in with snakes and sadly, most enclosures were not that clean.

IMO, the animals health and well been should be a parks number 1 priority and I would rather there be no reptiles as apposed to what I saw.

You are, of course 100% right Woma_Wild. But here's the challenge - and please no angry responses folks, I am NOT supporting poor husbandry - most animal parks scarcely break even financially. I can tell you, even some of the largest zoos in Australia make a loss each year and only survive through government subsidies, sponsorship or corporate events. And keepers are paid almost nothing by comparison to the main stream workers. Most work in the industry because they love what they do. And they do so with limited resources. And trust me, 99.9% of keepers you speak to (and I speak to a lot) will tell you they wish they had more resources to care for animals better.

Now, none of this is an excuse, but here's what happens. And yes, I've been associated with a major Australian zoo for over a decade, so I'm biased, but I also speak with some experience... People won't pay top dollar to go to a tourist attraction unless it ticks all the boxes. Money is tight for people. So to pay over $100 for a family to go into a place like a zoo or wildlife park, is a major hit on the weekly income. And sure, if that wildlife park has elephants and lions and seals and gorillas, then chances are you'll think it's good value for money. But even then, people want to experience the animals they've paid to see. The number of complaints these parks get each year about animals not being on display or hard to see is astonishing. Unfortunately, herps are bad like that. Many don't move much. They like being in hides. And if all your reptiles are in hides, people feel ripped off. And if they feel ripped off, they don't return. No return = no revenue for the parks. Now again, this is no excuse for poor husbandry. Dirty enclosures are a no-no - but hasn't every keeper had a dirty enclosure once or twice?

Some zoos and wildlife parks are working hard to compensate for this. Having keepers bring snakes out for people to touch, having animal "shows" or experiences, helps visitors feel they've got value for money. Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast does this very well. Other zoos are following suit.

But it's not always possible to get it perfectly right. I've been to great zoos, like Singapore Zoo, and seen a massive Reticulated Python in part-shed. Now Retics are native to Singapore, so if any wildlife park or zoo was going to get conditions right, it should be there. I asked a keeper about it and he told me they would intervene if they had to, but preferred to wait, as physically helping a big python to shed is stressful, both for the snake and the keepers!

My suggestion - and I've spoken to hundreds of keepers over the years - if you see something that bothers you, find a keeper and politely point out what you've seen. You might be surprised at how positive they view your interest and concerns.

I went to the local zoo recently and was quite surprised at the animals they had cohabiting enclosures, corns snake and rattle snake for one. The Rattler seemed more than a little interested in the corn snake. We also received a pair of Proserpines at work that came from a local wildlife park. They had been kept outside in Melbourne and were brought in in wet pillowcases in the middle of winter. The female is fine but the male had eye infections and a very bad mouth infection. He is doing fine now but I was quite surprised that an animal sanctuary would not realise that a snake from Queensland should not be outside in a Melbourne winter or that putting them in a soaking wet pillow case in the back of a ute on a freezing cold winter evening would be bad for their health.

- if you see something that bothers you, find a keeper and politely point out what you've seen. You might be surprised at how positive they view your interest and concerns.

I recall a visit to Alice Springs Desert Park, specifically the "Nocturnal House", where an older, quiet distraught patron pointed out to a local guide that the Rough Knob-Tailed Geckos were going at it hell for leather (one was banging it's head against the perspex partition) and he should interviene and stop it immediately for the sake of other visitors! He just stated "Oh yeah, they're at it all the time":).

Darlyn would have loved it, better than two fat ladies outside a Chiropractor:)!

Recommend a visit if you're there BTW, great displays.

thanks for the replies.
I can see what you are saying zipidee.

BUT..... lol. could they not improve the animals enclosure by placing hides facing forward for ppl to see and perhaps have photographs of them on each enclosure.

Guess I'm just too sensitive when it comes to animals. A homeless person on the street doesn't phase me whereas an animal in shed, forced to coil up under bright lights, that upset me a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back