i dont know what iv been told

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
iv read in places that its ok to put a click-clack in a glass enclosure while the snake is growing up?
but iv also read its not okay to do so :?
which one is it?:?:?

iv read in places that its ok to put a click-clack in a glass enclosure while the snake is growing up?
but iv also read its not okay to do so :?
which one is it?:?:?

It's fine providing you control the temperature in the click clack and not just the temperature in the main enclosure. You might struggle to maintain a temperature gradient dependant on the heat source though. Placement is important.

its fine as said above just make sure it hase correct heat

I will be using a heatpad will that be good

Hey Hoppy, you really need to look at what you are reading/researching and save all the information you are getting to a file on your PC or tablet/phone. Heat mat is fine under a click clack as long as you do not have anymore than 2/3 of the floor space heated, your hactchling needs to be able to find it's own place where it feels comfortable, best idea in the beginning is to put 3 or 4 mt toilet rolls in different places on the floor of the click clack so your Hatchling has plenty of choice. Not a good idea to have the click clack in an operating glass enclosure, for convenience sake it will be okay however to put your click clack in there as long as the only heat source is the heat mat under the click clack, please also remember that most lights put out heat as well so if the glass enclosure is to have lighting make sure it is well away from the click clack or you might bake your little 1 without realizing it, BAKED CHICKEN IS GOOD BAKED SPOTTY IS NOT. :) ............................................Ron

I put my Stimmy's setup (granite paver with heat cord, temp gradient 29-35) inside his adult viv, with the thermostat set to 23 degrees over winter (we get cold here in country Canberra). This kept the ambient temps warm so he wasn't under both sheets of paper shivering, and also stopped the massive condensation that was happening over his waterbowl! As long as you don't rely on the viv to keep him warm, and use the same heating solution as if he wasn't in the viv, you should be right.

Curious, why the question? If it is aesthetics or space saving, just put him in the tank without heat, but with the normal hatchy setup.

I did mean 2/3, so that 1/3 could be hot spot, 1/3 could be 50/50 and 1/3 cool, seeing as though they don,t need radiant heat. My spotties have thrived using this method. :) ................................Ron

Gee personally i wouldnt put any more than 1/4 of the tub on a heat mat, perferably 1/5 is ideal imo.
2/3 of the tub on a heat mat is WAY too much.

I'm not very good at maths but how can you put it over 2/3 of the heat mat and only 1/3 be a hot spot and the next 1/3 be 50/50 when the're both on the heat mat?

Gee personally i wouldnt put any more than 1/4 of the tub on a heat mat, perferably 1/5 is ideal imo.
2/3 of the tub on a heat mat is WAY too much.

I agree. I find I am can't get a decent gradient unless I put just the end of the heat may under my click clack.

The tubs i use for hatchies are 30cm long and some are 33cm long. They sit on a 3cm heated strip. So its more like 10% of the tub being heated. There are heaps of holes in the lid of the tubs above the heated end to let excess heat out and provide a good gradient. In the winter the room can drop to below 10 degrees. All hatchies feed, poo and shed perfectly.
Remeber the larger the temp gradient you can provide the better.

Off topic but the name of this thread is making me think of that old school navy seal chant chant "i don't know but I've been told" haha :p

Ok i will quantify my statement, if 2/3 of click clack has the heat mat under it 1 hide is on full heat for digestion another hide sits 1/2 on hot and 1/2 on cool for comfort and another hide sits on full cool if the lil 1 gets too hot and wants to cool down. I have 1/4in dowels under the click clacks between them and the heat mat for air flow, my lil 1s use all three hides depending on the ambient temp and they are happy as pigs in mud, the temps in the hides are : hide 1 34 deg, hide 2 28-30 deg and hide 3 ambient, i should not have said 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. this has been measured with 3 seperate digital thermometers. :) ......................................Ron

Last edited:
Ok i will quantify my statement, if 2/3 of click clack has the heat mat under it 1 hide is on full heat for digestion another hide sits 1/2 on hot and 1/2 on cool for comfort and another hide sits on full cool if the lil 1 gets too hot and wants to cool down. I have 1/4in dowels under the click clacks between them and the heat mat for air flow, my lil 1s use all three hides depending on the ambient temp and they are happy as pigs in mud, the temps in the hides are : hide 1 34 deg, hide 2 28-30 deg and hide 3 ambient, i should not have said 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. this has been measured with 3 seperate digital thermometers. :) ......................................Ron

How big are your click clacks??? Lol!

Lawra,
They must be 6-8 foot long lol.
Its the only way you could get the cold end of the tub to be any where close to ambient if 2/3 of the tub is heated, and even then i dought it would be.
Heating 2/3 of a hatchie tub is absurd.

Lawra,
They must be 6-8 foot long lol.
Its the only way you could get the cold end of the tub to be any where close to ambient if 2/3 of the tub is heated, and even then i dought it would be.
Heating 2/3 of a hatchie tub is absurd.

Here's a pic of mine... Not a click clack but you can see how far under the heat may sits: enough for a hide (behind which little jungle is curled up, it loves that fake plant lol). The paper towel is hiding his water bowl and second hide on the cool side.

I too have three probes :) thermostat, warm side thermometer/hygrometer and cool side thermometer.

jy7eha6a.jpg

Here is a pic of my hatchie rack, (made by pilbarapythons ). The back peice is heated by heat cord the front peice is unheated. As you can see there is only 3cm of heating, everything thrives no matter what time of year.

Attachments

• DSCF0086.jpg
    DSCF0086.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 56
It must be wonderful living in Queensland where everyone does everything exactly the same, unfortunately the vaguerys of our weather here in the unfortunate state of NSW dictates we do some things differently, others here in NSW might share your opinion on the placement of heat mats under click clacks but i personally do not, both my spotties have thrived the way they are kept without having a 6 foot click clack (they are 14lt) and given a choice i would set the next 1 up the same, so TrueBlue before you go making assertions about what is absurb and what is acceptable please have a look at the ambient and overnight temp differences at this time of the year in Mackay and Port Macquarie before you make scathing remarks like that again. :) ...................................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back