Secret field herp spots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclewo-wo

Reaction score
Hey all I'm from the Illawarra and would like to do some field herping, does any one have some secret locations or not so secret the would like to share? Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If they were secret they wouldn't be after being posted up here.
It's best to keep good spots to yourself and a few others that you trust won't pillage them.
I don't think that such places should be broadcast on the internet imo.

Last edited:
If they were secret they wouldn't be after being posted up here.
It's best to keep good spots to yourself and a few others that you trust won't pillage them.
I don't think that such places should be broadcast on the internet imo.

I no this I just used the word 'secret' to get people's attention and if people would not mind helping they can inbox me

That's a better way to protect good spots. I've seen too many places ruined from unscrupulous collection over the years. Careless flipping of rocks is a telltale sign and can permanently damage precious micro-habitat.

Try the escarpment country, which I've found to have the richest diversity. You can find several species on most days, as long as you avoid extremes of hot or cold weather.
Good luck and happy herping.

And if you do feel the need to flip rocks try and leave them back in the same position they were in.
I am pretty anal about leaving things as I found them but I have had numerous people tell me what does it matter. It does matter.

And if you do feel the need to flip rocks try and leave them back in the same position they were in.
I am pretty anal about leaving things as I found them but I have had numerous people tell me what does it matter. It does matter.

I no it matters ;) and I am a part of a herp society and we are trying to get a field herp day going

Gippsland Water dragons, occasional black snake and odd lacey, lots of skinks.
Probably a diamond somewhere it has survived being taken home as a souvenir.
I tend to canoe fast passed the campsite there for the good stuff in the gorge downstream.

As can be seen to the right, my location is 3/4 to 1 hour paddle from the campsite you are staying at (dependent on river conditions).
Haven't stayed there myself since the great 'real aussie' (ie what most call 'bogan') car camping invasions and subsequent council closing of more than half the camp site in the mid 90's.

Have a look for Litoria fallax while you are there. This species was apparently not endemic to the valley, or nearby Shoalhaven, although now it is one of the most common species of frog. The first specimen from this invasion was found at Bendeela in January 1994.

Nice nice I was a part if all of that learning to ride a push bike, motorbike and then car there. when we first started going hardly any one went, now it's got security and not allowed to have a fire, I don't go to the camp site it's self to herp I go to beehive point or just pull off the rd at random spots

People you should talk to...Dickyknee...Moloch05(I think)..Just_Joshin...JasonL..and Jack...all knowledgeable about herping spots around the Illawarra.

I believe the gate they put in a few years back on the beehive point road is locked at present.

I believe the gate they put in a few years back on the beehive point road is locked at present.

I have a motorbike so most fences/ gates don't matter and I'd rather a gate so people have a harder time trying to steal me bike ;)

There is a hidden valley just north east of Ubud that is pretty good

Can you inbox me roughly where this hidden valley is

Last edited by a moderator:
3ydyzu9u.jpg
me5aqamy.jpg
zyrutavy.jpg
resy6aje.jpg
4ebuze7a.jpg
evanuryb.jpg

Just some frogs/eggs and lizards from a beautiful spot near me

Can you inbox me roughly where this hidden valley is