do snakes need a moist hide?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it works like that cement. The CHE will not dry the air out like you are saying.

Cement , as you already know humidity is simply a measure of water content in the surrounding air regardless if it is heat produced or otherwise i.e right next to a cold water fall the humidity will still be very high. If you have evaporation and reduced ventilation, the humidity increases (guaranteed). it doesn’t mean though that it’s the healthiest way to achieve it though lol. It would be better to have good ventilation and have high humidity ( if of course it is actually required ).

Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air (weather 101) so generally warmer air in summer has higher humidity. In the wild in winter, I am guessing but i am sure Dave can confirm, snakes spend more time underground or rocks where the environment is more humid. In a captive situation they dont have access to a variety of humidity , just that of the ambient air which in winter is dry. That should be particularly noticable in the monsoonal areas such as the Pilbara!
So in dry areas captive snakes may need additional humidity to assist with sheddiing. I used to tip a bucket of water on the concrete floor of the snake room, to increase humidity, but dont bother any more as i no longer keep GTPs.
I wouldn't like to have a hide with high humidty as to me that is likely to encourage disease.

Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air (weather 101) so generally warmer air in summer has higher humidity. In the wild in winter, I am guessing but i am sure Dave can confirm, snakes spend more time underground or rocks where the environment is more humid. In a captive situation they dont have access to a variety of humidity , just that of the ambient air which in winter is dry. That should be particularly noticable in the monsoonal areas such as the Pilbara!
So in dry areas captive snakes may need additional humidity to assist with sheddiing. I used to tip a bucket of water on the concrete floor of the snake room, to increase humidity, but dont bother any more as i no longer keep GTPs.
I wouldn't like to have a hide with high humidty as to me that is likely to encourage disease.

There is also relative humidity which is harder to explain. But basically I think it is the percentage of moisture in the air compared to the saturation point at that particular temperature.

I don't think it works like that cement. The CHE will not dry the air out like you are saying.

Sorry I didn't explain it properly. I actually meant what Dave wrote! The stronger, hotter heat sources with little ventilation bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back