And we pretend we care about animals???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone with a mate from India and some family friends who regularly travel to India for extended periods I think you need to be a bit more realistic about India's safety situation. While I agree that the media is sensationalised India fares poorly in just about every reputable quality of life or safety index that I've come across and they're generally from reasonably unbiased sources.

I don't mean to be disparaging about the nation of your heritage but I'm just being realistic - you're not going to hear me trumpeting Australia's awesome treatment of our indigenous people or refugees.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post, or I didn't say it right.

I have no misconceptions about India and am not wearing rose coloured glasses. I am well aware of the very real situations over there but I think people need to gain a bit more knowledge and insight before making stupid statements.

It was discussed on another thread that it is unwise to make generalised blanket statements.

Just an aside... The OP is talking about dolphins. Say what you will but any little win is still a win. The safety situation won't change overnight but it isn't stopping people from still making small changes where they can. I think that's more important than focusing on the woman on the bus which is the only thing people seem to be aware of. Thank you mass media.

It's often the case that authorities create a rule thinking it will fix a problem. I am sure the Ganges River Dolphin and Snubb Finned Dolphin have more to worry about than captivity. Perhaps a few captive Dolphins might create public awareness of the consequences of pollution in the Ganges. rules are easy to Make. Environmental remediation is not!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an aside... The OP is talking about dolphins. Say what you will but any little win is still a win. The safety situation won't change overnight but it isn't stopping people from still making small changes where they can. I think that's more important than focusing on the woman on the bus which is the only thing people seem to be aware of. Thank you mass media.

I agree. It is definitely important that people continue to strive for positive change and every little baby-step counts. You must admit, though, the media coverage that the case has received in India has helped to bring the issue to a head, somewhat, in a nation that really does need a push in the direction of improved women's rights.

Obviously the media coverage outside of India does become very sensationalised but we can't discredit it entirely. Like our Government the media serves its purpose but it does so far from perfectly.

:) now this I like. does that include orcas(probably not), largest member of the dolphin family? now they just need to do this with other animals and stuff. (in shows anyway)

Last edited:
I think tesla was pointing out the fact that they don't just "let" people get raped over there and its still illegal.

We care about our animals here in Australia. Think of all the conservation areas and national parks and programs dedicated to studying and protecting our native animals shows that fact. Then you have to think about all the legislation in place to protect our wildlife and the fact that you can't keep exotics and you have to pay a licence and keep a record of every single native animal you own, sell, breed, trade, give away or anything else. Thats all in place to protect our animals and our ecosystems.

I thought the dolphins in seaworld are captive bred like all of our reptiles and to be fair if you think they should release all the dolphins from our tourist attractions then you should release all of your captive bred native reptiles. Lead by example if you are that serious about the issue :)

Think very carefully about clapping too hard about this and trying to look good by decrying anything that some left wing group calls animal cruelty. These same groups say its cruel to keep a snake in a wooden box. Becareful what you wish for, as you might just get it.
Now sits back and waits for accusations that I must support torturing of kittens cos I hate organisations like peta.

Popcorn is great for threads like this

Regardless of anything else a third world country has now protected cetacions
Western countries talk about it
They raise millions of dollars every year to fund the discussion papers
But India has done it

Now sits back and waits for accusations that I must support torturing of kittens cos I hate organisations like peta.

I don't think I've read enough about PETA to hate or love them but I certainly support their stance opposing animal testing. There are plenty of humans we could test on instead :)

Why do you hate PETA?

I don't think I've read enough about PETA to hate or love them but I certainly support their stance opposing animal testing. There are plenty of humans we could test on instead :)

Why do you hate PETA?

If PETA has their way no animals, including all reptiles will be kept in captivity anywhere
In fact their stance if taken to the nth degree must include cats and dogs

If PETA has their way no animals, including all reptiles will be kept in captivity anywhere

Oh. That sucks.

Regardless of anything else a third world country has now protected cetacions
have they?? The way I read it they had made a rule prohibiting keeping Dolphins in captivity in India! I think its going a little far to suggest that all Dolphins are now protected. What about the other 20 million Dolphins that weren't destined for captivity?

Last edited by a moderator:

If that was the craziest of their ideas. They ran a campaign on their website a few years ago telling people to boycott eating Honey, as bees were been enslaved by humans to produce things (honey) for them.
They are a dangerous and wacky organisation who has been caught amongst other things of donating money to ALF and ELF who are both listed as domestic terrorists in the USA. They think animals are better off dead than been owned by humans. Heres another article of their handy work.

TWO PETA EMPLOYEES ARRESTED FOR CRUELTY: CAUGHT DUMPING DOGS THEY ‘RESCUED’ FROM SHELTERS | National Animal Interest Alliance
So I do laugh when I see stupid and dumb celebrities getting nude for a peta poster when they have no idea what this organisation is really about.
If they got polictical power say goodbye to eating meat or anything that comes from animals. You would all have to be vegan by law. No pets, n9 fishing or hunting. No leather, no wool and so on.

I hate organisations like peta.

I think most people do mate. I'm all for animal rights but PETA are the biggest hypocrites, their shelters in America kill more animals than they re-home.

Edit: I just read the article you posted, it touched on the above point I just made. 10,000 out of 13,000 were killed.:?

Last edited:
have they?? The way I read it they had made a rule prohibiting keeping cetacions in captivity in India! I think its going a little far to suggest that all cetacions are now protected. What about the other 20 million cetacions that weren't destined for captivity?

If you google
india cetation law
there are many more articles with a much better description of what has happened
cetacions are now 'honorary humans' and cannot be killed caged captured or used for entertainment anywhere in India

If you google
india cetation law
there are many more articles with a much better description of what has happened
cetacions are now 'honorary humans' and cannot be killed caged captured or used for entertainment anywhere in India

My appology for my ignorance, i assumed Cetacions was an alternative term for dolphins so please read Dolphins instead of cetacions.

That's great and (a positive step forward) all but we probably should ask the thousands cobras without fangs dancing to stay alive how they feel about the dophins... Maybe they walk the walk with a gangster lean hey? Not so straight....

PETA are nothing more than a glorified domestic terrorism cell. Thats how even the FBI, CIA and Homeland Security see them.
Protection of animal rights is really pretty low on their list of priorities...

That's great and (a positive step forward) all but we probably should ask the thousands cobras without fangs dancing to stay alive how they feel about the dophins... Maybe they walk the walk with a gangster lean hey? Not so straight....

Red
Cobra shows with defanged snakes are now prohibited in India
Also using traditional healing on snake bite results in murder one charges if the victim dies

For a third world country they are improving things all the time

ps disclaimer... I have zero interest in returning to India
Every business deal I made there failed
Been ripped to the max there
I think their attitude to women sucks big time

- - - Updated - - -

My appology for my ignorance, i assumed Cetacions was an alternative term for dolphins so please read Dolphins instead of cetacions.

Sorry
lousy spwelling
by cetacean it means all member of the whale or dolphin family are now totally protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back