Burrow ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just drove from Melbourne to Darwin over the last 3 days and camped in the bush south of Cooper Pedy en route. These distinctive "smiley face" burrows were very common around my camp. Anyone know what makes these?

DSC_0043_edited-1.jpgDSC_0041_edited-1.jpgDSC_0042_edited-1.jpg

This is the habitat

DSC_0056_edited-1.jpgDSC_0032_edited-1.jpg

I think I have seen wasps use similar burrow here in the Perth region and I seem to remember them entering and exiting at the corners. Did a quick google search on sand wasp Burrows but didn't find one that fit those.

If you look closely at the second pic there is the tip of a tail showing.

Builder = scorpion :) Urodacus

Resident = Gecko

Last edited:
You're not kidding. Some of the burrows were very large. I also found a big selenotypus tarantula while collecting firewood. Kind of pleased I didnt sleep at ground level now.

I agree that these burrows look like they were built by scorpions of the genus Urodacus.

Whilst the 2nd burrow looks like it's inhabited by a gecko (due to the lack of fresh digging material outside the entrance and of course what looks like a gecko tail sticking out:)), the others look like they might still be inhabited by scorpions, especially the third one, that seems to have relatively fresh sand deposited outside the entrance.

Here's a paper that's worth reading for those interested (pg.121 is of particular relevance to this thread): http://museum.wa.gov.au/sites/defau...S OF BURROWS IN THE SCORPION GENUS URODAC.pdf

Why would they be shaped like that?
Is there some reason for it?
Do most burrowing scorpions have similarly shaped holes?

Geez Steve, you certainly get around, I have seen these too, wasn't game to investigate what might have made them, and I'm glad I didn't, scorpions are the only creature that do give me the hebegebes...and cockroaches lol gimme a tarantula any day :)

Longqi, scorpions prouce a D-shaped burrow with fhe flat side as the roof. Geckos, agamids and skinks produce a D-shaped burrow with the flat side as the floor. Spider burrows are round. It is related to the method of excavation but exactly how they do it and why the difference I do not know.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back