enlarging enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_mike

Reaction score
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that my 1.2m wide x 0.6m deep x 0.6m high melamine enclosure isn't large enough for my nearly 3 yr old Darwin Carpet Python. It was the first enclosure I'd built & I thought that I'd done my research adequately, but now every time I look at it I just think it's too small.

So, the easiest cheapest fix would be for me to cut the bottom out and stack it on top of another identically sized melamine enclosure - which would make a relatively unattractive 1.2 x 1.2m square.

The alternative is to start from scratch. (Unfortunately the obvious, appealing option of just building a new one & getting another slightly smaller snake has been vetoed by my girlfriend).

So what do you reckon I should do - retrofit the existing one to a 1.2 x 1.2 x 0.6 square, to some other dimension or just build a new one.

Those of you that keep adult Darwins what size are your display enclosures?

& can we please not start another thread about keeping snakes in racks. I totally get that snakes are not puppies, but don't want to look at a large animal in a small cage in my living room. - Ta.photo.jpg

Most adult carpets can live in a cage that size their whole life. 4 x 2 x 2 foot is all you need, you dont want to go too big... Does the snake seem like it needs a bigger enclosure...

Yeah, to me he seems to need more space - he spends a lot of time cruising along the glass. I've got no way of knowing whats going on inside his little reptilian skull, but he certainly makes the enclosure look small & he's not yet fully grown.

I know small snakes need small secure enclosures, but surely an adult Darwin would tolerate / be happier in a larger enclosure?

If the consensus is that enlarging my enclosure would be a mistake I'm quite happy to defer to experience & leave things as they are.

he could be paceing in the viv because he wants a bit ;) my md has been goin nuts and his viv is about the same size (he realy wants a girl)

thanks Jimie that makes a lot of sense - his behavior has been really weird recently - last night when I took him outside he shot off in an attempt at freedom - he's never done that before. I thought he was too young to be feeling frisky.

Thanks also Tristan. Reassuring to hear you say this, however I still want to expand - I think this is as much about my happiness as my snakes. Perhaps I'll just add on another 40cm height - which will be a big saving as toughened glass is expensive up here - the total height would then be 1m. Does this sound reasonable?

Don't get me wrong, its not bad to make a bigger enclosure, you will just need more hides so the snake feels safe. I have always been told that 4 x 2 x 2 is plenty, but I still feel bad that they are trapped in something a little too small... My big coastal is in a enclosure that is 7 x 4 x 2 but in saying that she is 8 foot long. Yeah there is nothing wrong with 1m high... How many hides do you currently have in your enclosure now?

Make a second enclosure and keep the first one for a new snake.

Build a 1200x1200x600mm enclosure and put the smaller one on top, add castors to the bottom one and it can all then be one nice looking display enclosure that is easy to move around. Add another snake to the collection :)

As said a lot of people leave carpets in 1200x600x600mm enclosure with no issues, but if you want your one to have more space feel free to make a new one. I have seen people add hides to the ceiling of an enclosure, im sure people can add some photos of what they keep adult carpets in that will give you an idea (or go through the diy zone and check them out).

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back