Encouraging a new visitor?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffinWolf

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the site, but a long-term snake + reptile lover. I just spent about half an hour watching a marsh snake in my front garden (about 40cm, so I'm thinking young adult?), before he went to hide under a bush. I'd love for him to stick around - especially as I don't want him going onto the road or into next door's property. Lots of dogs and cats in my street, and a lot of people who would take one look and think he's a brown snake, so he's safest in my garden. Does anyone know how to encourage him to stay? Or should I take him down to the local reserve?

The best way encourage native reptiles is by providing them with a suitable habitat. Plant native plants in relatively high density, provide ground cover and over time a small eco system will establish in your backyard.

My friend has been spotted in the back yard this time - there's a section of flowerbed which is overrun by weeds, and he seems to have discovered a few holes under the paving stones. He didn't mind us taking pictures, though I was less than a metre away - any closer, and he decided to move away a little. I've attached some pictures. Could someone more experienced confirm my identification as a marsh snake? Seems to be almost 50cm.

View attachment 298633
View attachment 298634

Yes, that's a Marsh Snake (Hemiaspis signata).

You've got a great attitude towards your new visitor.
If you don't mind going to some effort, I'm sure it would appreciate a pond and a rockery nearby.

Last edited:
Thanks for that! My parents thought it was a brown snake, when they saw it this morning :rolleyes:
If you don't mind going to some effort, I'm sure it would appreciate a pond and a rockery nearby.
We have (or had) a pond near there - it's kind of been taken over by the weeds. (I live with my parents - mum had an accident a few years ago and hasn't done much gardening since.) Nowadays it only has shallow water and the occasional striped marsh frog. There are discarded logs and rocks all over the place, so there are plenty of places for my friend to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back