New hatchie enclosure questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beans

Hey guys, kinda new here haha.

I just purchase a new hatch ling after my 18 year old spotty passed away. So this is my first hatchling.

So I was just wanting to know about his/her (Thinking boy but cant be sure) temporary tank. Hes currently just in a critter keeper. You know the ones you can put hermit crabs and things in. With a small heat mat under the cage. He just settled down so I don't wanna move him but its a 5 watt. Is that too low? I think it might be. I have a 15 liter plastic tub for him once he settles a bit more. Although he seems to have settled in great, hes not biting me at all like he was in the shop xD And I'm trying not to get him out too much, but when he comes out hes into exploring mode which is fantastic, He has a great temperament ^_^ Hes a 100% HET albino. For 160 bucks from amazing amazon :). ANYWAY Now with the tub, would it be better, to cut a large square out of the top and cover it with mesh and just use a light? I put my hand on the spot where he sits and it wasn't overly warm, but just enough warm that you could tell it wasn't cold if that makes sense. I took his hide out just because he was sitting on it and not on the warmth of where the heat was. When I got him out he was a little cold. Sorry if I'm doing everything wrongly, I want to give this guhy the best chance I can be a beautiful happy little snake ^_^

I haven't named him yet but here is the little guy

018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it would be best to invest in a reliable thermometer and thermostat so you could firstly know the temperature and secondly be able to control. Btw good looking snake, wish i had one like that :)

Does amazing amazon not give out care sheets and a shopping list of recommended purchases prior to buying herp?

If you had an older python wouldn't you know basic requirements already?

Anyway they love sitting on top of their hides. Put it back in.

I do know the basics I was just wondering about hatchies, I brought my last snake as an adult not a hatchling.

do all your research BEFORE getting an animal....

Build a click clack like in the link and put a heat matt under 1/3 of the enclosure run of a thermostat and measure the temperature at the hot end of about 32 degrees and cool end at ambient temperature. Place a hide at each end for your snake to choose from but as stated above please research before the fact in the future.

[h=1]Guide to build a click-clack (dial-up warning)[/h]

You will want a higher wattage heat mat, 5 watt won't keep up enough heat when the ambient temps fall.
Look at about 20w or better.

You will want a higher wattage heat mat, 5 watt won't keep up enough heat when the ambient temps fall.
Look at about 20w or better.
It depends on where you have your click clack, I had mine inside my house in Brisbane where we have mild winters and I used a 7 watt heat mat. Sometimes it is trial and error but if you get a too large wattage and your thermostat fails you will have a cooked snake.

Yeah I wasn't too sure but it seems to be doing the job just for now. I'm going into bunnings to pick up a few things. And yeah Andy, in brisbane the ambient temps there are alot higher haha, in vic though it can get very cold so I might have to get a higher wattage, I'll have to see when I get the temp gun tomorrow then go from there. Shopping list for tomorrow is, a new click clack that's around 10 - 15 L. Some dowel to go arcoss for him to climb onto if he so chooses, a temp gun and maybe (Probably a new heat mat too). AND a thermostat. Oh and a soldering iron, but I might be able to just heat up a screw driver on the stove and use that. Oh and a little bit of mesh so I can have part of the lid mesh for more airflow.

Eeeek getting excited!

Hes 7 months old. In case anyone was curious. Thanks for all your help guys :)

He is a beauty as well mate. Good luck with the shopping and think your suggestion of the screwdriver is a winner.

Yeah I wasn't too sure but it seems to be doing the job just for now. I'm going into bunnings to pick up a few things. And yeah Andy, in brisbane the ambient temps there are alot higher haha, in vic though it can get very cold so I might have to get a higher wattage, I'll have to see when I get the temp gun tomorrow then go from there. Shopping list for tomorrow is, a new click clack that's around 10 - 15 L. Some dowel to go arcoss for him to climb onto if he so chooses, a temp gun and maybe (Probably a new heat mat too). AND a thermostat. Oh and a soldering iron, but I might be able to just heat up a screw driver on the stove and use that. Oh and a little bit of mesh so I can have part of the lid mesh for more airflow.

Eeeek getting excited!

Hes 7 months old. In case anyone was curious. Thanks for all your help guys :)

I was able to find some fairly solid plastic tubing which worked well in place of dowelling - no sealing needed :)

I strongly recommend a soldering iron. It makes life a lot easier and pretty cheap - I got an 80W for $20 not long ago.

If you poke holes in the lid you won't need mesh which stops your pet from rubbing it's nose on it and removing skin.

Happy constructing :) I found making click clacks lots of fun.

Ah yeah, alright I'll just poke lots of holes xD And thank you! He is absolutely adorable and has a beautiful color! Can't wait to see how he colors up. And yeah I'm really looking forward to making this click clack for some reason xD

- - - Updated - - -

Got his click clack mostly set up now. His hide and water dish is in there and I made 2 large holes for a piece of dowel for him to sit on if he likes. I wrapped hair ties around the ends poking out so that he can't push it out and to keep it nice and stable. Don't worry I washed the tub first and got the plastic smell and gross bits off.Heat mat is all set up, I think it he likes it though its not too big to make him feel unsafe or exposed, but its big enough that he can move around.

I never knew I would have been so fussy about about what tub I wanted to use. xD There was a normal flat bottom container but it had no lids, or I didn't like the bottom. But I finally found one and settled on it :) There was one I was really contemplating on getting. It was like..... a on desk office drawer that slides out and you put papers and stuff in. It was long enough but not as high as I liked. Otherwise it would have been awesome to use xD

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 297637

- - - Updated - - -

I think I did okay for a first click clack :p Do you think it needs MORE air holes or will that be enough? There's 4 rows of holes on the top too.

- - - Updated - - -

Theres airholes on all 4 sides. Just looked at the pic and it looks like not enough but I think there is :)

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Shes a little female!

I thought she was a male but turns out she isn't.

Now I just have to give her a fitting name...

- - - Updated - - -

I had to make a few adjustments.

The floor on the inside of the click clack was uneven, like I couldn't put her hide against the wall without it rocking and wobbling. So I got an old box and cut out a fake floor to even it out. Then I put newspaper over it like normal :) It looks much better now, it looked half assed before and it was bothering me. I also gave her the name Freya :) it suits her I think.

And finally I made her a little hide with a tiny entrance hole out of a tea box, then put the water on top of it to stabilize it. I like how it has turned out ^_^

View attachment 297706

Last edited by a moderator:
For the holes on my click clack, so I didn't have to buy a soldering iron, was to hold an old allen key with pliers and heat it with a lighter until it was fairly hot and just started poking holes... Does the same thing.... Saves $30 :p

For the holes on my click clack, so I didn't have to buy a soldering iron, was to hold an old allen key with pliers and heat it with a lighter until it was fairly hot and just started poking holes... Does the same thing.... Saves $30 :p
I would use an old screw driver so you have a ready made handle but good work.

I would use an old screw driver so you have a ready made handle but good work.

I did this but with a BBQ skewer and the stove. Turns out there is a soldering iron in the garage I didn't know about anyway lol

Don't forget to pick/file/sand the little bits off the edges of the holes in case they are sharp. It's also a good time waster :)

Wondering why everyone keeps there hatchies in click clacks. I get why a breeder would as they have many but when you have an enclosure why not use it, and no it will not unsettle the snake lol it's a big space they are born into in the wild.

Wondering why everyone keeps there hatchies in click clacks. I get why a breeder would as they have many but when you have an enclosure why not use it, and no it will not unsettle the snake lol it's a big space they are born into in the wild.

From your comment on the DIY click clack thread I shall ask you the same question: why did you?

My answer to the above is simple: those who have had a lot more experience recommend it. Regardless of anything else, the proven method to achieve settling and regular feeding his to put one in a click clack.

Maybe you're confusing the keeping sized tubs with your kitchen leftovers Tupperware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back