Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy_num

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Joined a couple of those Facebook snake pages and found a real stunning light classic python, a couple of months younger then my own so it would be a bit of a wait before trying a breed with them :3

My question she is a Bredli and mine is a spotted, is it possible to breed them? I'm a new snake owner an can't find anything about it good or bad on Google. Would any experienced breeders know if it would be possible? This is a true honest question <:)

And illegal in QLD isn't it?
One would think, is it even possible?
Maybe since waters and carpets have been bred together!

Goodness I didn't think it could be illegal... o.0 I have put anything I can think of into Google and nothing but the separate breeding cycles and cost for buying either Bredli's or Spotted's comes up :/ A link would be great!

Really you need to decide wether I want to breed bredli or spotted pythons or even both! There are loads of good books which u could buy like "the complete carpet pythons" & "the complete children's python" which will be able to answer most of your questions!

Sure you could probably breed them, they'd hardly sell and you'd earn a black mark against your name from most though.

Good question chewy_num
The thing is the two snakes are not on the same taxanomic level until Family level. You could possibly get away with breeding two animals that are separate species but of the same genus, but I think the genetic differences would be too great between the bredli and spotted. The problem is that if you get offspring they will be unlikely to survive, and if they do they will most likely have some kind of abnormality. I am no expert on snakes though so please school me if I am wrong :)
style="width: 200px; text-align: left; font-size: 100%"
|-
| :
|
|-
| Family:
| Pythonidae
|-
| Genus:
| Antaresia
|-
| Species:
| A. maculosa
|-

|-
|
|
|-
|
|-
| Family:
| Pythonidae
|-
| Genus:
| Morelia
|-
| Species:
| M. bredli
|-

|
|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-

|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-

|-

Technically it is illegal but so is breeding an albino or any other mutation speaking from experience check with DERM first. I will fight to make it clearly defined as it stands at the moment there is no real definition of what is illegal and what is not. IMO if people can breed retard mutts, smuggled gene animals and other mutations (albino ect) why can't correctly labeled hybrids be produced. Here is a link to the Nature conservation act 1992 familiarise yourself with it well and know your rights as a licence holder :) https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/N/NatureConA92.pdf

Good question chewy_num
The thing is the two snakes are not on the same taxanomic level until Family level. You could possibly get away with breeding two animals that are separate species but of the same genus, but I think the genetic differences would be too great between the bredli and spotted. The problem is that if you get offspring they will be unlikely to survive, and if they do they will most likely have some kind of abnormality. I am no expert on snakes though so please school me if I am wrong :)
|-
| :
|
|-
| Family:
| Pythonidae
|-
| Genus:
| Antaresia
|-
| Species:
| A. maculosa
|-

|-
|
|
|-
|
|-
| Family:
| Pythonidae
|-
| Genus:
| Morelia
|-
| Species:
| M. bredli
|-

|
|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-

|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-

|-
There has been successful crossings in the USA, if you look up World of Ball Pythons you will see the first one is woma cross ball python.

Good question chewy_num
|-
| :
|
|-
| Family:
| Pythonidae
|-
| Genus:
| Antaresia
|-
| Species:
| A. maculosa
|-

|-
|
|
|-
|
|-
| Family:
| Pythonidae
|-
| Genus:
| Morelia
|-
| Species:
| M. bredli
|-

|
|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-

|-
|
|
|-
|
|
|-

|-
Zero abnormalities have been shown to present themselves in hybrids of this kind it's a rumour spread by the haters to confuse the uninformed. Inbreeding for genetic traits eg albino, jag, zebra, stripes, hypo ect have proven to cause more abnormalities than any inter genus hybrids ever have or will ;)

So does that mean that breeding something like a MD with a bredli.... Is that illegal in QLD? I got so confused on this topic 0.o

So does that mean that breeding something like a MD with a bredli.... Is that illegal in QLD? I got so confused on this topic 0.o
Yep 100% illegal. Morelia bredli X Morelia spilota metcalfei = illegal hybrid in Qld. Read the act in the link I posted above that may help clarify :)

Yep 100% illegal. Morelia bredli X Morelia spilota metcalfei = illegal hybrid in Qld. Read the act in the link I posted above that may help clarify :)

Oh okay, cool, thank you :) I wonder what they would look like..... I think a very pretty snake :p I dont understand why they would be illegal, they shouldnt have neuro defects...

i think the bredli will eat the spotted saving the op the hassle of deciding what to do next with the offsprings.

I'd like to know why everybody wants to be breeder? It just puzzles me, especially with such seemingly limited experience.

Sadly enough shane73 it seems to be the way of the future. Less people just have pets and the mentality definitely seems to be "now I have a snake what can I breed it with". I've noticed quite a few newbie buying adult breeding pairs as well. I just don't get it.

I am a newbie myself and yes I do eventually want to experience breeding but that won't be for a few years of it ever happens.

This article may help to shed some light on the difficulties of breeding hybrids Hybrid

This article may help to shed some light on the difficulties of breeding hybrids Hybrid
That article is wrong in respect to reptile hybrids being sterile prime example would be 75% Carpondro the result of breeding a Gtp to a carpet then the offspring back to a Gtp. If that is possible how are they sterile hybrids??

That article is wrong in respect to reptile hybrids being sterile prime example would be 75% Carpondro the result of breeding a Gtp to a carpet then the offspring back to a Gtp. If that is possible how are they sterile hybrids??

I have heard this too. I think the majority were sterile at first weren't they?

Why the hell would you breed a approx 1 metre snake with one that gets to approx 3 metre's anyway? Pretty cruel in my book, especially if the female is the spotted.
Because they think it will give them the next big thing and credibility, It is such a shame that people new to the hobby are not content with buying a hatchling or two of the same breed, growing the snakes and their husbandry, knowledge and experience over a few years before a breeding attempt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back