EWD: broken tail?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raycarpetpython

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I took all my water dragons out of their enclosure this afternoon to give it a clean. They are all about 100mm SVL. While taking them out, I noticed one of them had a kink in its tail near the base! I am wondering what to do as I can't seem to find a lot of info on the topic. The dragons get a couple hours of natural sun on the weekends, dusted crickets and plenty of UVB basking time in there enclosure. As far as I'm concerned I can't see how this possible break might have happened.

Sorry for no pics, but I should be able to get some tomorrow if needs be.

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hi everyone, I took all my water dragons out of their enclosure this afternoon to give it a clean. They are all about 100mm SVL. While taking them out, I noticed one of them had a kink in its tail near the base! I am wondering what to do as I can't seem to find a lot of info on the topic. The dragons get a couple hours of natural sun on the weekends, dusted crickets and plenty of UVB basking time in there enclosure. As far as I'm concerned I can't see how this possible break might have happened.

Sorry for no pics, but I should be able to get some tomorrow if needs be.

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If this isn't a birth defect, then I would say the kink was made by the dragon trying to climb the enclosure walls, which puts pressure on the base of the tail when the dragon rests all it weight on it. This tends to occur with newly hatched dragon or those with bones that haven't hardened properly from exposure to UV light/calcium etc

If this isn't a birth defect, then I would say the kink was made by the dragon trying to climb the enclosure walls, which puts pressure on the base of the tail when the dragon rests all it weight on it. This tends to occur with newly hatched dragon or those with bones that haven't hardened properly from exposure to UV light/calcium etc

Ok. Any suggestions as to what to do with it now? I don't want him to be in any pain or have trouble swimming etc.

Water Dragons are known for biting tails :(

Hopefully that is not the case with yours as they usually wither and drop off

Perhaps a splint may work. Otherwise I think the tail will heal itself, but with the kink remaining permanently.

Does it look something like this?
upu3ytah.jpg

If so, I wouldn't stress too much about it. These guys are overly active, and may 'bend' their tails by either climbing or landing on it. This doesn't bother mine in the slightest

Does it look something like this?
upu3ytah.jpg

If so, I wouldn't stress too much about it. These guys are overly active, and may 'bend' their tails by either climbing or landing on it. This doesn't bother mine in the slightest

no, it is right near the base of the tail, near the vent

Oh I didn't think that one through. Personally I would get it checked out, even just for peace of mind

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Ok, thanks for all your advice I appreciate it. I'm going to take him to the vet after work today and see if we can't get it sorted. I'll let you know how I go.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so I went to the vet this afternoon. She wasn't overly concerned with the possible break, and without x-rays it was hard to tell. I have to dose him with liquid calcium twice daily, and has to be separated. Looks like I am faced with either rehoming two of the dragons or building another enclosure. Apart from that, he should do a lot better on his own, and recover well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back