pet lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandfireackie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
my nephew has been asking his mum for a pet lizard for a year now she says she will get him a small lizard that doesn't need much heating. so she is asking me to see if there was any lizard that is good for a lizard that is good for 5 year olds. I was thinking of a beardy or a skink. does anybody have any suggestions.

You should be asking what a good lizard for the parents to look after would be, blue tongues are easy, can deal with the kind of handling from a child that age and very unlikely to bite ect.

They're always a good start.

A bluey would be perfect. Just make sure proper hygiene is practiced, as kids can get Salmonella from herps.

I don't like the sound of 'doesn't need much heating'. All reptiles have specific requirements including adequate heating. A reptile should only be owned if the owner is willing to meet these requirements.

Bearded dragons require high amounts of heating. Bluetongues get quite large as well, they are not small lizards. Geckos are small and do not need much heating but they won't tolerate handling like a bearded dragon or a bluetongue would.

If the proper requirements cannot be met then a stuffed toy might be a sufficient alternative :)

What do you consider to be too much?
Smaller heat mats and cords only use 5 - 20 watts depending on what you buy...
Its like running an energy saver light bulb and for just one lizard i cant imagine you using enough power to worry about it on your bill...

The only small lizard that doesn't require any heating or lighting is the Marbled Gecko (Christinus marmoratus) but geckos stress far to easy to be handle so their a display kind of lizard, as others have said all reptiles like blue tongues and breaded dragons require heat and lighting. If the appropriate requirements for heating and lighting aren't met I don't think a reptile is the best idea, a cat or dog would be a better idea.

Not really fitting the small requirement, Eastern Beaded dragons and Eastern blue tongues don't require as much heating as their inland cousins (only by a few degrees)

Someone should tell her that for such a young child, a small lizard may not be ideal. They tend to be much more fragile, not to mention easily stressed and harder to handle (if possible at all). I'd recommend an eastern blue tongue lizard myself, as they're pretty easy to care for and very hardy; a perfect beginner's lizard. This is assuming of course that the person that'll be caring for the critter will be doing the necessary research and will provide the required care (including correct temperature control and a varied diet).

I'd suggest printing off some care sheets on some different lizards, and see if she's still up for it.

x

I'll tell my sister that she would need a bigger cage and more heating and also a dwarf beardy, beardy or a bluey

I'll tell my sister that she would need a bigger cage and more heating and also a dwarf beardy, beardy or a bluey

Pigmy Beardies require very specific care and are generally on higher category licenses than eastern or central beardies.

Just stick to the blue tongue, the kids 5 - they don't come more easier or hardy than a bluey.

Yes but if it's not going to receive proper heating and tank size, tell her to buy the kid a toy - I don't like the idea of a buy and forget lizard just because he wants one. The parents are going to have to do everything in regards to care and heating so if they aren't prepared for that tell them to wait until he's older.

I get the feeling this will be another neglect case.

you will probably be looking at around 500 bucks for a bluey, enclosure, lights, thermometers, substrate, hides and foods.

In my humble opinion i think your sister should put together a small colony of garden skinks for him, all that is really required is an 18-24in tank with lid, some bark chips, a small log and a few hides, if it can be moved out into the sun every second day with the lid off they will be able to bask in the sunshine and a small 5w heat mat will take care of their heating requirements, crickets and small woodies will be fine for food. I know some here will jump up and down and carry on about the legalities of such a suggestion but on the short term it will find out whether the 5 year old is going to want to interact with the lizards and if not they can be let go, no harm no foul, on the other hand if it holds his interest for more than a couple of weeks then it is a good stepping stone to further herps. there are far too many Blueys, Beardies and others around that have been bought with good intentions but end up suffering unintentional neglect from lack of interest, I started my son off this way and it turned out well, it is better letting a few garden skinks loose after a couple of weeks than truamatizing 1 of the other high maintainance herps with neglect and then trying to rehome them. This is just my opinion. :) ...................................Ron

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with developing lizards if they are not provided the correct heating, lighting and diet. It may be seen as being expensive to initially set up a lizard and tank properly but it is much, much cheaper than taking them to a vet because they are sick. It also provides peace of mind that you are doing all you can to ensure your animal is healthy and happy :)

Blue tongues make great pets, they are usually quite tolerant of handling, but as I mentioned before they are a big lizard - your sister is looking at a 120cm long enclosure for an adult animal.

As long as their needs can be met, a bluey would be my choice, handle well, hardy, easy and cheep to feed. Though they do get pretty big pretty quick. If this does go ahead, Does your sister understand what she will be required to do? Maybe direct her to this site to do some of her own research, As previously mentioned setup cost could be around $500+. Heating essential.

+1 For the skink colony idea, pretty much how I started as youngster.

Yes but if it's not going to receive proper heating and tank size, tell her to buy the kid a toy - I don't like the idea of a buy and forget lizard just because he wants one. The parents are going to have to do everything in regards to care and heating so if they aren't prepared for that tell them to wait until he's older.

I get the feeling this will be another neglect case.

Here it is again... It's no wonder people are reluctant to join &/or seekers advice & ask questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back