Day and Night temps for Bearded Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca_75

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did find a thread but can't for the life of me find it now.

What are the recommended temps (day and night) for Bearded dragons?

30 deg on the warm side (that's on a elevated branch near the lamp) during the day (which works to about 24 on the cool side - is that OK)

Should I make the night any different? I have the JET-001 controller so I can set it differently if I want. Not sure if I should.

Cheers

the basking area should be 40-45celcius. Mid 20's is fine for the cool side.
I switch off all lights at night.

That high? Wow - that's higher than what I have read previously.

Yeah especially if its a young dragon. The heat is so important for bodily function and digestion. Provided your house temps don't drop too low at night (depending where u live) you should be able to have no heat or lights at all. Do you have a good source of UBV10 for the dragon?

I have a 10% 26W globe that is about 20cms from where I hope it will perch (on a branch in the enclosure)

I'll up the temp a bit then I guess. Is it OK to keep it warm at night as well? The house does get down to 15-17 deg overnight during the winter

Ok that uvb sounds great! As long as there is nothing in between the lizard and the uvb globe. This light is also very very important for the growth and development of the little critters. I would personally not use any heating at night but if you want to bump up the temps a bit I would use a ceramic heat emitter that way you can provide some heat without giving off any light that will disrupt the dragons sleeping patterns

OK - Thanks

I only have a ceramic heat lamp and the UV bulb. Are you suggesting I need a basking lamp as well (it is near a window so gets heaps of ambient light, no direct sunlight) or ideally could add a basking lamp?

Isn't keeping the enclosure warm and well lit enough?

I would replace the basking lamp with a basking light. You can get a good cheap phillips 75w bulb from woolies for a few bucks. Make sure its not an energy saving one though as they give off little to no heat. Dragons need heat from above and they naturally do this by being attracted to the light. They need something to resemble the sun ie a basking lamp. I place my uvb light near the basking lamp so the dragon can get both heat and uvb whilst in the same spot.
Best of luck mate.

Won't the basking lamp go on and off constantly if controlled by a Thermometer?

And then during the night as well?

If you plan to heat at night, then yes you will still need the Heat Emitter, but you should still have the basking lamp during the day.
So really there are two options; 1 - change the heat emitter over to a basking lamp, or 2 - have another ceramic light socket installed for the basking lamp.
As for the light going on and off, you can set a divergence (so if you have the temp set to 40degrees with a 2degree divergence, the light won't turn on until it gets down to 38degrees, or off until it hits 42).

Ideally, you would use a dimming thermostat, these will dim the light to reduce heat output when it is closer to the set temp. Doing it this way means globes will last a lot longer.

Thanks for the help Guys - back to the drawing board.

How long will the Dragon be OK without a Basking lamp?

We are getting him tonight (yeap - it's a small juvenile) as a Birthday present for my son (pretty much non negotiable about the date) and he will be in the enclosure overnight (which is OK without a basking lamp as he won't go in there until after 8 anyway).

I'll add a basking lamp to the same circuit as the UV light (timed by a timer - 8.5 hrs/day). The Thermostat will control the Ceramic lamp to ultimately control the temp (I guess it will come on very little during the day). Does that sound OK?

- - - Updated - - -

Would something like this suit

http://www.bunnings.com.au/brilliant-100w-lamy-black-flood-light_p4370243

The only reason I would recommend a basking light that gives out visible light vs a CHE is because I have noticed a difference in behaviour (animals in my experience have reacted better to visible light, i.e. more active basking). Night time heat in my opinion is not necessary.

The main thing with your UV is that you want it to be in the same place as your heating (it is most beneficial when the animal can access both of them at the same time).

dont use a thermostat on the basking lamp. Only use a thermostat on the ceramic heat emitter. :)

The only reason I would recommend a basking light that gives out visible light vs a CHE is because I have noticed a difference in behaviour (animals in my experience have reacted better to visible light, i.e. more active basking). Night time heat in my opinion is not necessary.

The main thing with your UV is that you want it to be in the same place as your heating (it is most beneficial when the animal can access both of them at the same time).
So our current setup might be OK? The natural light is from that side of the enclosure. The UV lamp is about 20cms from the top of a big branch I have put ni there (which I hope he spends a bit of time on). It is also the closest point he can get to the ceramic heat lamp.

And if I do add a third (basking) light it will be on the timer, not the thermostat. The Ceremic will only "top off" any heat requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I've figured out how to disable the alarm I can also reduce the might temp right down so it should come on except for the coldest of nights.

I need to quickly mod the enclosure this afternoon anyway as the melamine is getting to hot near the Ceramic heater for my liking (hot to touch).

I still think, even with the inclusion of natural light (which could possibly also add to the heat in the enclosure), you will notice different basking behaviours because of the CHE compared to using a visible light basking light.

Could you post a photo of your enclosure? :)

I still think, even with the inclusion of natural light (which could possibly also add to the heat in the enclosure), you will notice different basking behaviours because of the CHE compared to using a visible light basking light.

Could you post a photo of your enclosure? :)

When the UV light comes on I'll do it (otherwise it will just be a bit of reflection off the glass).

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic (best I can do at the moment sorry).

Basically the Thermometer probe is mounted just in front of the UV bulb (big glowing bit).

I had to cut a small section out in front of the Ceramic heat lamp as the heat was getting trapped and the board was a little to hot for my liking. If I am going to add a basking lamp I will mount it in front of the Ceramic lamp and point it towards to top of the branch.

The tank is coming up to temp now, but based on previous test I suspect 35 on the top of the branch (left side) will be about low-mid 20's on the right.

encolsure.jpg

Last edited:
I would just get rid of the ceramic heat emitter and replace it with a basking bulb. Don't use a thermostat for anything.

I would just get rid of the ceramic heat emitter and replace it with a basking bulb. Don't use a thermostat for anything.

Pointing straight down, won't that make the dragon more likely to hide in the back corner (easily solved by replacing the baton I guess with one that can be angled).

I only have mine 37-41 in basking spot and around 27 in coolest spot. I am reluctant to let the temps drop below 13 at night, as I've known people whos dragons have died from a respiratory infection after being left over winter nights with temps as low as 6-7 degrees on a fairly consistent basis.
Also, i've found adults handle the higher heat much better than hatchlings!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back