Beardies keep trying to scale glass?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smittiferous

Reaction score
We have three central beardies (two female and one male) living in a multi-level converted tv cabinet, with the ladies up to and the gentleman (I use that term loosely:p) rules his roost down the bottom. They're all just shy of two years old.

Since they've come out of brumation, the male's been strutting back and forth with a black beard, head-bobbing like mad and generally being a toey young male, and the females are doing their "take me, take me now" display. All is as to be expected!

But the male and one female also seem quite intent on digging their way through the glass, running back and forth and climbing the walls, in the process have rubbed their snouts so badly they've scabbed up their chins.

I think this is because they've outgrown their enclosures so I've started building a new palace for them (big wall unit with two tiers, 1500 wide x 600 deep x 600 high) and am about 75% completed. But I am wondering is there another reason they could be scaling the glass and trying to bust out?

They can't see each other in any reflections in windows, nor the snake in the enclosure next to them. I take them out one at a time as often as practicable, they are quite happy to hang off my shoulders, explore the house, scale the furniture, watch out the windows and chase the cats around the house, and when I bring them back to their corner unit they seem quite keen to hop back inside, but soon as they do they want out again!

What gives? And why is one female NOT doing any of this? Mind you she has always been the most chilled and relaxed of the trio...

Cheers for any insight!

How long have they been in their enclosure? Our 2 yr old beardie who we thought was a female has been doing some severe head-bobbing and bearding up a very shade of black since we moved it into a new enclosure. He/she even jumped out once when I had the door open to feed it. Lucky it's at ground level!

they're just toey this time of year, they can smell each other, pheromones driving em crazy. she will also climb the walls just b4 she lays her eggs if you had bred them

I would agree but the second female isn't behaving this way. She's putting on her display, but is content to just stomp about, she's not exhibiting any of the manic wall-climbing or trying to get out.

either way, what should I do about their snout rubbing? Both have black scabs on their chins/noses, and I don't want either to get infections. I have tried taping cardboard to the inside of the glass so they couldn't see out and it's softer and has no hard edges, but they just crawl in between and get right back to trying to climb the glass.

Last edited:
I had what I thought was a female turn out to be male the other day. Wow was I shocked to see he's head bobbed and the black beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back