TV Cabinet conversion - Bearded Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisturbedDave

Reaction score
So I'm a rather restless person, and now that I'm finished with my EWD enclosure, I want to build something else. Whether I use it for myself (most probable), or sell/give it away afterwards, I'm not sure yet.

I'm looking at converting a corner TV Cabinet. My concern is getting the correct temp gradient. If I use it for myself, I will most likely house a beardie in there. I know people house beardies in smaller than this, but I'd rather do it right the first time.

The opening is 90cm wide x by 70cm high, depth is 60cm.

So, is it worth doing a conversion on something like this, or go for a wall cabinet style enclosure with more area to get a longer temp gradient?

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJGMFFowZ25IpBSQ6BlhRgQ~~48_20.jpg
    $T2eC16ZHJGMFFowZ25IpBSQ6BlhRgQ~~48_20.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 278
I've got one similar to that in my garage that I got off Gumtree, only a little bigger in size. I was hoping to convert it for our murray darling (at least for a while). I hadn't really considered temp gradients, however I would think by using a lower wattage lamp/heat emitter you should get a warm spot and a cool spot. The timber should hold the heat better than glass or melamine.
Other people have converted similar on here previously. I wonder how they got on with temps.

As long as there is a hot side and a cool side so they can thermoregulate then it should be completely fine..

So I've found a different, better suited cabinet.
The enclosure part of it is 90cm high, 90cm wide and 60cm deep.

I'm hoping to use an MVB in here, but worried it may introduce too much heat, even a 100w. Can anyone shed any advice on this?

Firstly it'll be for one of my EWD's, wouldn't mind seperating it to give it a good feed and allow it to catch up a little on size. While it isn't being picked on, I feel it's still being intimidated due to the larger size of the other 2. After a few months I will re-introduce it into the big enclosure, and will transform this one into a beardie enclosure.

What UVB output to MVB's put out? Seeing as beardies need 10%, and EWD's need 5%.

The cabinet:

3yha8aqe.jpg

Mvb's are fine for beardies and I imagine they would be fine for water dragons too, as long as you get one designed for reptiles. Judging by the size of the enclosure, I wouldn't use too high a wattage; timber will retain heat better.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah it's a bit of a concern, seeing as I don't plan on opening up the top at all, so just a few vents for air circulation.
Almost contemplating just a basking lamp and UVB fluro, like in my current enclosure. At least this way I can run the basking bulb on a dimming thermostat, eliminating the risk of overheating, especially during warmer months.

If the MVB can be used with a dimming thermostat, I don't think it would be any different. I use fluoro UV tubes, and a CHE in each of my beardie enclosures. I know many people will tell you they need a basking lamp, but all of mine know to bask under the heat emitter. This way, I turn off the UV during their "night hours", while maintaining a lower heat level (more so in the cold winter months here in Adelaide).

Since reading the DIY section on here and picking up one from Gumtree as a giveaway, yes.

The question should be: 'do I ever NOT see a cabinet and think terrarium'. Haha

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back