Pygmy Stimsons and the Pygmy.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone can clear something for me.

In the pygmies, there appears to be a lot of confusion.

The Pygmy Python (or anthill as it used to be called) Antaresia perthensis but I cannot find info on the Pygmy Stimsons.
All my searches lead me to info and photos of the Stimsons python. Antaresia stimsoni.

Is it a different python or just a smaller stimsons due to locality, etc ?

Also read that these little guys have blue eyes ?

The Pygmy Banded Stimsons come from the same locality as the more Northern Antaresia Maculosa. There is a whole chapter on them in The Complete Children's book by P. Birch, N. Mutton & J. Julander. They are not the same as Perthensis and I do not think they have blue eyes. The only Aussie pythons I have ever seen with blue eyes are Centralian's and Carinata's.

The Pygmy Banded Stimsons come from the same locality as the more Northern Antaresia Maculosa. There is a whole chapter on them in The Complete Children's book by P. Birch, N. Mutton & J. Julander. They are not the same as Perthensis and I do not think they have blue eyes. The only Aussie pythons I have ever seen with blue eyes are Centralian's and Carinata's.

According to Snake Ranch and others they do have blue eyes.

thanks for link about but I've seen it.

Thanks for replies but my question has not been answered. Probably because I didn't explain myself correctly.

if the stimsons is antaresia stimsoni, why are the Pygmy stimsons listed as the same thing ? Or do they another name ?
this is where the confusion is between the two.

Pygmy Stimson are A. Stimson. They are from FNQ and a a naturally smaller locality.

There is a little bit of a cloud over where the original ones were wild caught, probably to throw people off the trail to prevent poaching. A few people will refer to them as mossman locale Stimson. I think it would be unlikely to find a Stimson in mossman, so they were probably caught a bit west of there.

They are also called pygmy banded pythons.

Just dragons one of the mods on here has a pair. If you ask nicely I'm sure he would post some pics.

I would say their eyes are more silvery than blue.

Peter Birch has some really lovely examples on his website of you want to look at those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back