I think I want a pet Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supersnakes

Reaction score
Hello! Recently I've decided that I would like to own a pet snake in a few years time. The problem is, I have no clue on how to care for them. I'm looking at species like chidren's and stimson's pythons. I also like the Murray Darling pythons too, but they seem too large.

So what sort requirements do snakes need in terms of their enclosures?
Should snakes be fed live food or is it more human to buy frozen stuff? or even a commercial diet?
Are snakes generally placid and tolerant to handling?
How old should I purchase a snake? Or will it be easier to purchase an adult?
Would it be better to buy a rescue snake as opposed to a pet shop or breeder?
How good are snakes with other animals? I live with two dogs and a bird, but I don't plan on having them interact together.

And is there anything else I should know about keeping snakes in general?
Also what species would be considered the most suitable for people knew to snakes?

I've never owned a reptile before but my family and I are willing to take on the challenge of owning one.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Hi supersnakes,

If you are not looking to own a snake for a few years, you have plenty of time to do your research. It is very important that you do this. It will help you not make mistakes with your pet when you get it. Check out the Wiki section of this forum and you will see profiles of the major captive bred animals - such as Stimson's and Children's Pythons (these are collectively called the Antaresia family). The Wiki area also has lots of information about keeping these animals as well as tips and suggestions on feeding, enclosure size and many of the questions you have asked here.

I think a Stimson's or Children's is a good first snake, as they are relatively easy to care for, are smaller and easier to handle and often have good temperaments. I would suggest you look to buy an adult, from a breeder or reputable pet store, as they will be able to select an animal which is feeding well and has a placid nature.

A couple of the other questions you asked: - no you feed snakes frozen food (usually rodents) and not live food. It is illegal in Australia to feed them live animals. Many pet stores sell frozen snake food, such as mice or rats. Your snake will probably look on your pet bird as either a predator or potential prey (depending how large it is) and it will most likely see your dog as a predator. So, generally, you don't want your snake interacting with your other pets.

As I said, do your research, Check out the Wiki section and other posts on this forum and you will be heading in the right direction.

you want a snake in a few years time ? how many years ? plenty of time to do research then

Wow that is a lot of questions.

Any of the Antaresia, so stimsons, spotted, childrens are suitable for beginners. Not too big and fairly hardy. Womas are also a good beginner snake (I own a few of these now).

All are easy to look after. I suggest looking at picture of all the above species, and then further researching the one you like the look of.

Frozen rodents are best and can be bought from most pet shop, online, or from local breeders.

Of interest might be article "roadtesting Aussie pythons". And if womas spark your interest "womas: the champagne of pythons."

Antaresia can be all keep in similar conditions.

As for pythons and other animals, I wouldn't have them all out together. But the pythons should be bothered by you having animals around their enclosure. There are plenty of photos on the net of cats basking on top of reptile enclosures.

I don't handle mine too often, but when I do they are really well behaved. Snakes don't really like being handled but a lot of them accept it.

I would also disagree with Zipidee. You are better off buying a hatchy with 10 or so feeds. I bought a 5ft adult as my first snake and while he was and still is a perfect gentleman it can be daunting to care for and handle a snake of that size.

Hatchlings offer a way for people to get their confidence up before their teeth hurt. And can be kept easily in a click clack which I think is always a bonus.

Goodluck with your research. They really are amazing animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
you want a snake in a few years time ? how many years ? plenty of time to do research then
haha yes. our house is being renovated at the moment so once that's done, maybe about two years from now, I'll be looking more into getting a snake.

I would also disagree with Zipidee. You are better off buying a hatchy with 10 or so feeds. I bought a 5ft adult as my first snake and while he was and still is a perfect gentleman it can be daunting to care for and handle a snake of that size.

What - how can someone disagree with me. I'm always telling myself I'm right...lol. :lol:

Not, but seriously, RedFox's point is really well made. The important thing is that your new snake is feeding well and that you are confident with handling it. I bought a 2 year old Stimson's as a new owner, because the animal was very very tame, the breeder could tell me it's history, and I knew the colours I was getting ( some species change colour when they become adult). Plus, he was only 90cm and I was confident with handling a snake that size.

omg treeofgreen I'll admit I laughed. But its understandable why people would come here. They would prefer a collective information pool from people who have snakes, and have lots of experience with their care and handling.

I think its great that you are asking questions well before even considering buying one. All too often people jump in and get a reptile without asking questions and researching it first so good on you!
As for your questions, plenty of advice on where to start looking has been given. I think once you decide on what snake you want, dont just look up care sheets on them, do a search for problem with childrens, sick stimmy etc.... this will show you threads where someone has something wrong with their setups or feeding and it shows you what NOT to do, its a great way to learn.... from other peoples mistakes.

Best of luck, don't be afraid to ask for clarification on anything you are unsure about. Everyone is new in the beginning and some people tend to forget that. Google doesn't know EVERYTHING, it's better to ask then guess and be totally left of field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back