Turtle trouble

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew.21

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My mum found a turtle in our yard today and it looks like a pet.I'm not sure what to do with it , release it in the river and if it is a pet would it survive in the wild? or go door to door and ask if anyone's lost there pet turtle I think it may be my neighbours which would be bad cause they're bogans and I dought they would take care of him or have a license. What to do?

Being Bogan dosnt mean there stupid:rolleyes:.......However they could be? Worlds full of stupid people bogan and not.......Anyway good luck with the turtle!!!!

If you have concerns, ask them to describe the turtle before you allow them to see it.

Your location and a picture of the turtle may mean someone can tell you if its local to your area

what makes you think it is a pet? It could just be a wild one that it wandering around, it is breeding/nesting season.

A captive turtle will come out of it's shell relatively quickly & take food from you while they're in the water. A wild turtle that isn't comfortable with human interaction is shy, may be reluctant to come out of it's shell while you're close by.

I wouldn't have any qualms about releasing a turtle that is in good body condition if it's been found wandering, the best thing you can do is look for a local reserve where you can release it.

Last edited:
A captive turtle will come out of it's shell relatively quickly & take food from you while they're in the water. A wild turtle that isn't comfortable with human interaction is shy, may be reluctant to come out of it's shell while you're close by.

I wouldn't have any qualms about releasing a turtle that is in good body condition if it's been found wandering, the best thing you can do is look for a local reserve where you can release it.

while that is definitely true for eastern snake necked turtle (C. longicollis), the wild short necks are far more bold and more than willing to interact with humans if forced. I have done a study catching wild turtles in the Brisbane region and only a handful of the turtles were shy and reluctant to come out of their shell.

if your not sure dont release it - take it to one of the animal shelters, AWOL are in Ipswich who can hand it to rspca which can then search for lost pets and take care of it or they can release it back to the wild if deemed to be wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back