Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I've never used one I'm not a fan of those little glass enclosures at all. There has been quite a few threads this year regarding young snakes not eating for their newby owners and the common link has been glass enclosures. Click clack on a heat mat or cord for the first 12 months or so then give them something pretty to look at.

Although I've never used one I'm not a fan of those little glass enclosures at all. There has been quite a few threads this year regarding young snakes not eating for their newby owners and the common link has been glass enclosures. Click clack on a heat mat or cord for the first 12 months or so then give them something pretty to look at.

He's too big for a click clack and im not a 'newby', i have had a snake before and three lizards

A week might just simply be too soon mate.
Some snakes will take it in a week, some will take a month, my water python and Jag both took a couple of months, but my Albino and Woma ate in the first week. Now they're all smashing in quail, rats and mice.
The first snake you get that doesn't eat is a bit worrying, but as soon as you watch them wolfing down food when they've settled in, you learn. It takes them a bit to get used to the new temperatures, tanks, smells and whatnot. I put mine in enclosures that where a bit bigger than what they where used to, hence how long it took, but it's all to do with snake.
Heat does pay a big part in it, but the snakes going to start when it wants to.

Only get concerned if it starts looking to be sluggish or weak.

Just keep trying, and have a Woma or cat there ready to eat the mice if it fails.

Last edited:
He's too big for a click clack and im not a 'newby', i have had a snake before and three lizards

I think a few months might still put you in the newbie class for snakes. I don't think your Lizard experience can really be transferred to snakes.

A week might just simply be too soon mate.
Some snakes will take it in a week, some will take a month, my water python and Jag both took a couple of months, but my Albino and Woma ate in the first week. Now they're all smashing in quail, rats and mice.
The first snake you get that doesn't eat is a bit worrying, but as soon as you watch them wolfing down food when they've settled in, you learn. It takes them a bit to get used to the new temperatures, tanks, smells and whatnot. I put mine in enclosures that where a bit bigger than what they where used to, hence how long it took, but it's all to do with snake.
Heat does pay a big part in it, but the snakes going to start when it wants to.

Only get concerned if it starts looking to be sluggish or weak.

Just keep trying, and have a Woma or cat there ready to eat the mice if it fails.

haha thanks, i have two cats and theyre terrified of rats and mice..!

- - - Updated - - -

I think a few months might still put you in the newbie class for snakes. I don't think your Lizard experience can really be transferred to snakes.

yeah i understand that...
i also have experience with other peoples snakes, including trouble eaters and some with mites etc :)

i also have experience with other peoples snakes, including trouble eaters and some with mites etc :)

Then why are you in such a panic about this one? If you have friends with snakes, get one of them to come over and check your setup out for you. Otherwise I think you need to stop posting for a few hours, get your temps sorted, maybe add a bit of privacy to the glass walls and see what you come up with. I still think you have just missed the lead up signs of it going into shed. That and temps are your two most basic factors to my way of thinking.

It always amazes me in here ...they put a page up asking for help n ideas ...and when given ideas on what to do ....they claim they already know ...well if you already knew ...why do a post and ask ? ...then I looked at the name and age n realised ,this young lady is a teenager hence the 'I already know ' reply..

I think it's more that people don't appreciate a somewhat condescending tone that can often accompany said ideas, intended or no.

I think it's more that people don't appreciate a somewhat condescending tone that can often accompany said ideas, intended or no.

I think people need to not take things personally on an Internet forum. If the advice is sound extract that out of the post and forget the rest. Ultimately if it is advice that someone wants and that is what they get then they should be happy. If it is something that is going to help you have a healthier and happier snake then who cares what the person who gave it thinks about you.

You need to get back to basics.
Stop handling the snake for the time being.You need to know what's going on with the temps both day and night.Once you find out if the temps are ok or not then you can start looking at other possibilities.Looking at the pics in the other thread you made it looks to me like the snake is fine condition wise so there is nothing to worry about on that front.

I think people need to not take things personally on an Internet forum. If the advice is sound extract that out of the post and forget the rest. Ultimately if it is advice that someone wants and that is what they get then they should be happy. If it is something that is going to help you have a healthier and happier snake then who cares what the person who gave it thinks about you.

I agree with you, but this can be hard for some people, especially when they might happen to be a bit younger.

Just offering a possible explanation for peoples' responses.

It always amazes me in here ...they put a page up asking for help n ideas ...and when given ideas on what to do ....they claim they already know ...well if you already knew ...why do a post and ask ? ...then I looked at the name and age n realised ,this young lady is a teenager hence the 'I already know ' reply..

Actually that's not what i said nor meant. Just some of the things i have acknowledged and said i will be fixing today, and then the next three people talk about needing the same things that ive already said im getting. Thats all.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why are you in such a panic about this one? If you have friends with snakes, get one of them to come over and check your setup out for you. Otherwise I think you need to stop posting for a few hours, get your temps sorted, maybe add a bit of privacy to the glass walls and see what you come up with. I still think you have just missed the lead up signs of it going into shed. That and temps are your two most basic factors to my way of thinking.

I mean ive been there and seen what happens etc
the breeder and friend i was talking about earlier were the ones who made the suggestions i mentioned.
I can't just magically fix the temps and all of that, i have school and cant get out there until this afternoon

- - - Updated - - -

I will be getting temp probes and thermostat this afternoon and will report back on the temps later...

I wasn't attacking you before nor am I now but I didn't say you could fix it magically; however, I think you would have done well to ignore some of the posts as it came back to the same answers you already had and gotten back to the thread once you had a chance to get your thermometers etc and then let us know how you got on.

I also asked about your panic due to your comment about not being inexperienced. In truth, you are, as your personal experience is limited and your experience with others seems a bit limited from the view that you didn't consider the obvious aspects of what was said before you posted. That in itself isn't a bad thing because you learn by asking but it does mean you aren't as experienced as you tried to sound.

Teenager habit is to have the last word when discretion is often the better part of valour.

How long ago was its last shed and how many feeds has it had since?

It is most likely temp/stress related but it could be shedding even if you don't think it looks like it.

How long ago was its last shed and how many feeds has it had since?

It is most likely temp/stress related but it could be shedding even if you don't think it looks like it.

The reason I suggested shed was partly because my snake doesn't seem to get the milky eye scales and it is her behaviour more than any othr sign that lets me know that she is about to shed. As beck hasn't had this snake very long she wouldn't be aware of what its mood/behaviour is like during a shed cycle. I think she also posted earlier the stuff you just asked about.

The reason I suggested shed was partly because my snake doesn't seem to get the milky eye scales and it is her behaviour more than any othr sign that lets me know that she is about to shed. As beck hasn't had this snake very long she wouldn't be aware of what its mood/behaviour is like during a shed cycle. I think she also posted earlier the stuff you just asked about.

True and thankyou :)

Jeremy suggested i get some mice and try one after a few days so i will be doing that.
Got the stuff this afternoon, with the new bulb temps are 36 at hot end and 29 cool end which is a bit hot i think, yes? Hot in my room also so have opened it up etc to see what that does...
Seems a bit depressed since i took out his plant, second hide and twisty branch..should i put them back in?
He could be shedding soon, last shed 15 September...

Thanks :) i have had a really hard week recently so was in a bad mood, i know you weren't having a go at me, just my fault for being in a bad mood :(

Thankyou :)
Becky

- - - Updated - - -

Also, will be covering up his enclosure until Saturday when i will feed next...

Personally the temps seem a bit high and if you fully cover all four sides you will need to keep an eye on it as it will retain more heat. Do you run a thermostat or timer? Why did you take all the stuff out? I would certainly be putting the hide and branch back, coiling up on the branch in the middle of the enclosure is a way of thermo regulation as much as stimulation. I am assuming you have plenty of water in the enclosure.

I removed it because of feeding advice mentioned earlier from friend/breeder...didn't understand why she said but just did it...stupid me, will put it back in right now. Have a large, sturdy rock water bowl :)
Thermostats were $150+ where i went so will be shopping for a cheaper one online...
No timer, turn it on when i get up (between 6-8 depending on school days etc.) and turn it off at about 7-ish
Heat mat stays on 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back