Egg Contents Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering what the contents of a healthy egg would actually look like. In particular, should the (amnion?) fluid be clear(ish) in an egg that is a couple of weeks old?

I'm 99% sure these eggs were dead before I cut them open, but some confirmation would be comforting.

EggContents.jpg

Cheers,
Nic

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the contents of a healthy egg would actually look like. In particular, should the (amnion?) fluid be clear(ish) in an egg that is a couple of weeks old?

I'm 99% sure these eggs were dead before I cut them open, but some confirmation would be comforting.

View attachment 298313

Cheers,
Nic

Yes Nic, They died before you cut them open, fluid should be clear and the discoloured greeny/yellow is most likely bacterial infection.
The left egg was possibly infertile to begin with but the right egg looked to have an embryo.
cheers
Mick

Last edited:
Thanks Mick.

Here's another photo of the mould that I'm seeing in develop on the outside of eggs ...
EggMould.jpg

Does anyone know ...
a) whether this means the egg is definitely dead?
b) what causes this?
c) whether it is worth using a toothbrush to try and clean the egg (when it is not so advanced)?
d) whether it is contagious to the other eggs?

IMO those eggs dont look fertile/alive but I may be wrong.
Do you candle your eggs to check for veins?
If you do choose to keep incubating them it would be best done in a seperate container to your healthy eggs.
Out of curiousity, what method are you using to incubate? Substrate/over water?
Do those eggs smell pretty funky?

Last edited:
IMO those eggs dont look fertile/alive but I may be wrong.
Do you candle your eggs to check for veins?
If you do choose to keep incubating them it would be best done in a seperate container to your healthy eggs.
Out of curiousity, what method are you using to incubate? Substrate/over water?
Do those eggs smell pretty funky?

They were successfully candled for veins. The eggs actually don't smell bad, even when cut open. I've been using the over water method ... although looking at lexy1's successful incubation, maybe it's time I changed! What was the reason for choosing perlite over vermiculite?

Mate when i was younger i always used vermiculite i switched too perlite later as i found it always seems too feel dryer to the touch even with the same ratio of water even tried the eggs over water method with ok succsess.. I lost my WHOLE collection too a fire in feb last year but that year was the most successfull year in terms of egg percentage hatchling success ive ever had.. very close if not 100% on all 16 clutches.. there is something i did that ive never done before which i will share if you like! pm me Alex

They were successfully candled for veins. The eggs actually don't smell bad, even when cut open....
I would have thought they would smell before they were opened and stunk when they were open. So are they still candling for veins??

What species are they?

It can take a while for the signs of decay such as bad smell develop. Sometimes these eggs just get a bit like custard inside without actually smelling bad at all throughout the incubation period.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back