First Bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojomystery

Reaction score
So after having reptiles for almost 2 years I finally got bitten for the first time by my yearling bhp. It really took me by surprise as he hasn't bitten before and at first I didn't even realise he was trying to bite. It wasn't until I moved my hand and felt his teeth tear along my finger that I even knew he was trying to eat my finger (he doesn't strike even when feeding, just comes along opens up and clamps down). I realised straight after that it was my fault as I was moving him just after his feed (I feed in a separate tub) and had my beardy out so probably still smelt like him (I know I broke the cardinal rule and didn't disinfect between animals), but unfortunately I'm still a little nervous now pulling him out.
So any this led me to thinking, if you do have a snake that bites and holds on, what are you supposed to do? Do you try to remove it or just leave it and wait until it lets go?

Don't try to remove it... you can hurt yourself and possibly even the snake's teeth by doing that. If it's very stubborn, you can try swiping his head under a running tap - often the shock of the water will make them let go. Otherwise listerine is a great addition to any snake room. The fumes will usually make them let go. They dislike the smell and it’s handy to have around :)

it is hard not to pull your hand back as it is a natural reaction. But yes Listerine is a good method.

this is what you do and works a treat, turn tap on not hot! cold or luke warm and stick its head under he has to let go to take a breath. I had a yearling eat down to my knuckle on my middle finger very very painful the running water works.

I had a BHP which muzzles up on you and gives a love bite... I had a mate say to blow air in its face, he showed me and got bitten... It was hilarious!!! Listerine is fantastic to get reptiles to let to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back