Sealer for MDF

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinefamily

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a bargain enclosure from gumtree, made of unsealed MDF, but no spills or stains to suggest water damage. What's best to seal it to protect it from liquid absorption?
Possible silly question: can I use pondtite to seal it?

Not sure specifically what to recommend but I wouldn't suggest pondtite or anything else so liquidy. You need to use something thick so it doesn't get absorbed by the MDF.

Any good water based washable paint will do, then silicon the joins. Pondtite is fine but you will end up using lots of coats. If you go the paint route try and use an acrylic sealer undercoat first, or three coats of something like Solarguard or Weathersheid.

Yo could either get a resin called glass coat, this takes a little skill to get a good finish but will seal perfectly and last forever or use contact with silicon in the corners, the advantage of this is it is easy and you can use colours and patterns if you like or you could also seal it with a wood primer and then paint over with a gloss paint. If you use the resin or paint it will need a really good airing out.

I use cabota cfp floor, a light sanding between coats. I believe it is uv stable with a recoat life of 5 years, comes in satin or gloss. Also silicone up all edges so no moisture can get down and cause it to swell.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back