Licensing questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a question regarding licensing.
I am fully licenced and have a fair few animals. I have found a person selling a shingle back and 2 bluetongues. When I asked a few questions about them, I found that the person is licenced but the animals in question are not on a licence.
These animals are captive bred and extremely healthy. I personally, would never buy a wild caught animal.

So, my question; is there any way to get the 3 animals put onto a licence? Anyone I can ring or write to regarding the situation? I don't particularly want the animals to be sold to someone that is unlicensed due to the possible lack of care and I also don't want the animals to be taken and euthanized by National Parks and Wildlife (or what ever the 'officials' are called). I also don't want to buy the animals if they cannot be put onto a licence due to the risks of the animals that I already have

What would everyone suggest doing?

I hope that all makes sense :p

Cheers, Aaron.

national parks aren't going to euthanise them, they'll go in a ballot and given to licenced keepers and that's how they go on the books.

how can the seller have a licence but the animals aren't on his books ? he poached them ? or he doesn't even have a licence in the first place.

i suggest you leave it and move on, too much hassles and statute declarations if you buy them.

I'd pretty sure that the seller brought them off someone else that wasn't licenced and didn't think about the consequences..

So there is no easy way to get them put on?

Most native animals who are claimed by Parks and Wildlife (or whoever) are distributed among capable keepers. I know the Office of Environment and Heritage often have ballots for animals who have been picked up by or surrendered to WIRES in my area. It would be counter intuitive to euthanise them after pushing so hard for them to be protected. Non-native animals, such as corn snakes and red-eared sliders, are very likely to be euthanised, but that's a different kettle of fish.

I personally would report the breeder in question if I thought there was anything suss in their operation.

The exception is if they're animals which don't require a licence. I believe that in the ACT, you don't need a licence for the Long-necked turtle, the Eastern blue-tongued lizard and the Blotched-blue tongued Lizard, Shingleback lizards and a variety of Bearded Dragons. In which case, you either don't need a licence or you need to get a permit to move them to a different state.

the seller should have contacted npws/dec/oem previously before even offering them to you. national parks will decide to let him keep them therefore able to sell them to you legally, or go in the ballot.

sounds like he's just sitting on them, then pass them on to you to sit on and they'll always be off the books.

So if the seller contacts NPWS, they will get put onto the books and be able to be legally sold?

If he got them from a legit source, then it should just be a misunderstanding (failure to fill in the right forms at the right time, or failure to declare new hatchlings on records). If it's a misunderstanding, he may be able to prove that to NPWS. If it's illegit, he might lose them. Either way, you don't want to get unlicenced animals. Either you or the seller should talk to NPWS or your equivalent. If they do turn out to be wild caught, then adding them to your collection can introduce pests or illness your animals aren't ready for.

The exception is if they're animals which don't require a licence. I believe that in the ACT, you don't need a licence for the Long-necked turtle, the Eastern blue-tongued lizard and the Blotched-blue tongued Lizard, Shingleback lizards and a variety of Bearded Dragons. In which case, you either don't need a licence or you need to get a permit to move them to a different state.

This is correct.

From our end we don't/can't need a license or any export/import permit for these. But the other end will need one corresponding to their licensing conditions.
It is possible they received them from the ACT and assumed he didn't need any license either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back