Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BPalmer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

wanting to buy my first snake and getting so much mixed feedback from reptile shops here in Adelaide and looking for your help. I am in love with Jungle Pythons but many are saying they are not good to start off with due to their nature. I also have two young boys, aged 5 and 7.

someone today suggested a Murray Darling but I don't want a python to grow 2.5 mts or even bigger. Looking at having a nice placid snake that doesn't mind coming out its enclosure daily for interaction but also not something that will remain only a meter long. Somewhere in between would be great :)

what do you guys all suggest for a first time snake enthusiast?

Also, is there any difference between males and females in regards to size and temperament?

looking forward to all your help

thanks,
Brendan

Hey mate, just rookie myself and only have 1 python but all my research says that the Children's Python and the spotted python are a good sanke to start off with. Spotted's usally 1.1-1.2 meters long and can max out a 1.4 meters and Same goes for the Chlidrens python. Both pythons are also very calm and are usally great while being handled. Hope I could help you mate and if you need more information just ask we are all glad to help.:)

Hi BPalmer

firstly congrats on deciding to get into this awesome hobby. My first python was a jungle and they still remain my favourites. Mine was a little snappy when i first got him but after he had settled in and was feeding regularly I simply held him as much as I could and it took no time at all to calm him down, get them young and the bites are nothing to be scared of anyway. Not all snakes will be as snappy or placid as one another, everyone says womas are placid but mine is the spawn of satan lol.
Perhaps if you go to a breeder that has quite a few to pick from and maybe ask or look for one thats not quite as snappy.
Jungles are amazing pythons so dont let their reputation put you off just keep an eye out for a quiet one.

Jungles do have a bad rep for being feisty but there are some good breeders in SA who breed really placid jungles. I got my girl from a great breeder up in Gawler who has super placid Jungles (Couldn't believe how calm they were!). I have had my girl for over a year and she has only tagged me once (She had just come into shed and I startled her, completely my fault.) but other than that one time she is super calm and quiet. An absolute dream to handle :) I have had friends and their younger siblings come around and I let them handle her as she is so gentle. I've had no problems with her around kids....just my personal experience. Find the right breeder and you'll have a gorgeous jungle in your hands! :D

Good luck in your search :)

Yeah I agree with Ron a jungle was my first snake and yes it had the odd bite but quickly calmed down, they are my favourite snake

Regardless of what type of snake it is... doesn't mean its aggressive or placid.
each snake has its own personality
my jungles a pussy. never bitten.
Just like when people say children pythons are not aggressive.. when i went to purchase mine i picked out of 8. 6 of them where aggressive and only 2 were placid as.
dont get put off buying a species because of its typical nature.. have a hold of it before u buy it.

Go for a woma, hardy, good feeders, placid and entertainingly dumb. Generally, of course.

Hi and welcome :)

I will start off with the same advice I was given when choosing a snake for my daughter. Make sure you don't settle for what others suggest as 'the best first snake' if you don't love it.

We were very tempted to go with a childrens just because "that's what you get first". When we went to actually see in person, we were talked out of it and into a Bredli instead and I'm glad it went that way. We loved the Bredli all along and honestly, were not fans at all of the Antaresia.

Jungles get a bad rep but any animal has the potential to be 'feisty' or not really, especially while young. Get what you love :D

any snake can bite and that's what you have to remember when getting into the hobby, if you get bitten you must grab the camera and take a photo ;) lol. but in all seriousness you go for what you find attractive and what you think you will love for the next 10-20years. you may just like to watch it there's no rule in this hobby that tells you to handle your animals all the time, I only handle them if taking them to the vet, cleaning enclosures, and for breeding season. jungles are great as display animals they are vibrant and beautiful they are notorious of being snappy but there are good breeders that breed placid animals. you can get placid and agro in the same clutch. good luck.

^^^ bredli once settled become very calm.... Tho grow big .. But u also grow with it and learn over time..... They dong get 2.5m over night

I agree you should get what you want because its going to live for a very long time and its a big decision taking on a new pet. If you want a jungle then maybe just put in the extra time and effort to find one that is placid or get a sub adult or even an adult that is already used to handling.

I personally agree with gozz and I'm gonna get a jungle for my first snake even if it is snappy as its a snake after all and thats just its survival insinct and I respect and admire that. I'm sure eventually it will understand you are not going to eat it.

Thank you all so very much for your advise... I went into a reptile shop today and he showed off quite an aggressive Jungle. Was absolutely beautiful snake but the guy got bit 20+ times in less than 5 mins. As you have all said though, there are good and bad in each clutch so I might try to locate a breeder and take it from there.

On a side matter, can I ask, would you suggest getting a 6-9mth old or a brand new hatchling? Is there much difference between the two? Some say get the older snake as they are established feeders etc, however I was thinking with the Jungles, the younger I try to get them to settle, the quicker I will have a more placid snake... Could be wrong... Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for being so welcoming all :)

Thank you all so very much for your advise... I went into a reptile shop today and he showed off quite an aggressive Jungle. Was absolutely beautiful snake but the guy got bit 20+ times in less than 5 mins. As you have all said though, there are good and bad in each clutch so I might try to locate a breeder and take it from there.

On a side matter, can I ask, would you suggest getting a 6-9mth old or a brand new hatchling? Is there much difference between the two? Some say get the older snake as they are established feeders etc, however I was thinking with the Jungles, the younger I try to get them to settle, the quicker I will have a more placid snake... Could be wrong... Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for being so welcoming all :)

A reputable breeder should be selling you an established feeder regardless of age so whether you want this years or last years hatchling is up to your personal preference. The 6m old (when we got her) Bredli was 'tame' from the get go, it would depend on how they have been handled by the seller before you in this case though.

Glad you are looking to go with your heart on this one.
Best of luck :D

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to snakes as well however after many mixed views I spoke to some pros about what they thought. I'm from wa so the options are limited but it was between a stimsons python and a South West carpet python. I wanted the carpet python but was told by people to get a stimsons as there more placid. But after talking to some pros they said get the one you want otherwise it will be seen as a stepping stone and you won't enjoy it any where as much. So I say go with your gut thats just what I've been told each to there own.

Hi I'm new to snakes as well however after many mixed views I spoke to some pros about what they thought. I'm from wa so the options are limited but it was between a stimsons python and a South West carpet python. I wanted the carpet python but was told by people to get a stimsons as there more placid. But after talking to some pros they said get the one you want otherwise it will be seen as a stepping stone and you won't enjoy it any where as much. So I say go with your gut thats just what I've been told each to there own.
get what ever snake u want.... there is no aggressive or placid species.. just are known for being a little more aggressive or placid. but each snake is an individual!

if you want a hatchling you'll be looking at purchasing around March/April next year and they'll be established feeders and around 3 months of age before you get it. there colouring may not have come in and they can be very snappy due to the size of them. but if you get something now it will be around 8 months old fully established and had been a hold back if bought by a breeder, meaning the one of the picks of the litter and showing its colours, possibly not so aggressive etc. if you buy a young snake from a non breeder there could be a reason why they are selling it, none feeder, sheds bad, snappy...the list goes on. or maybe they just cant keep it anymore or aren't interested in it anymore. What I've found through the years is that a snake from a pet shop is constantly on display, there in high traffic and tend to be more stressed out and more bity. that guy is an idiot for trying to detour you from wanting to keep anything, that's what he's doing he should let that pour snake settle get sold to a better home and encourage new people to want to own snakes...

My first was a spotted python, she was VERY handleable but thats only because she was handled so much as a hatchling. So it really just depends, any snake can be a good first as long as you handle it enough. Though some snakes just have a bad attitude

Hi everyone,

wanting to buy my first snake and getting so much mixed feedback from reptile shops here in Adelaide and looking for your help. I am in love with Jungle Pythons but many are saying they are not good to start off with due to their nature. I also have two young boys, aged 5 and 7.

someone today suggested a Murray Darling but I don't want a python to grow 2.5 mts or even bigger. Looking at having a nice placid snake that doesn't mind coming out its enclosure daily for interaction but also not something that will remain only a meter long. Somewhere in between would be great :)

what do you guys all suggest for a first time snake enthusiast?

Also, is there any difference between males and females in regards to size and temperament?

looking forward to all your help

thanks,
Brendan

You have to get what you like. As a first timer (3 years ago) I was going to get a Childrens or Spotted because they were the "beginner" snake. But I kept looking at pictures of them and was able to handle a few (different ages) and found I didn't really like them.

After looking around I decided on Jungle or Bredli. I was lucky enough to get to handle a few Jungles. I knew I wanted a good feeder so opted for an older snake. I found a local Jungle breeder and went to visit. They had a few yearlings that were sooo placid and fun to handle. I found one I really really liked and got her. She has never bitten in the 3 years I've had her. She's only refused to feed a couple of times, when she wasn't hungry or one winter when her temps dropped a bit low for her liking and she hibernated. I too, was worried about the size originally but like everyone's been saying they grow with you. Mine was 80cm when I first got her and now she's almost 1.8 and now I think she's too small. haha.

As with all pets, you have to find the one you like, with a temperament you can live with. My friend has a Black and Gold Palmerston Jungle that is a fussy feeder and tags her every now and then, but she loves him for it. I, personally, couldn't handle being bitten regularly, it would take the enjoyment out of keeping one.

Do your research, consult the household's opinions, and find a reputable source. Make sure to ask any source about their return policy or if they'd be willing to agree to a trial period.

Good luck =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back