Does it matter that im not sure of the exact locale my snakes are from?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdonkey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have 2 snakes, a BHP and a Woma, I have noticed that when most people comment about either species, they usually give a locale e.g NT Woma or QLD BHP or even for a lot of other snakes the locale is almost a part of their taxonomy.
I love both my snakes dearly and as far as I am concerned it does not matter where they came from( both legally obtained and licensed) as I have no intention to breed or dispose of them .

doesn't matter if you aren't interested in breeding but if you ever want to get into breeding its best to know the locality of what you wish to breed.

It all depends how pretentious you want to be when you become "experienced". If you're happy with your pets then that's all that counts.

I don't know the locality of all of my reptiles, and they seem to be blissfully unaware of where they're from... They don't get teased by the locale specific species that I do keep either... If you want to breed, its a good idea to know where your stock is from as a NT x QLD BHP would be the worst thing you could possibly do in life IMO... (Insert universal sign for sarcasm here)...
Having a pure locale animal will add some $$$$ to the overall asking price for breeders or sellers, and it can help with distinguishing features for some species or subspecies, ie; colouration, pattern etc, but its not high on the list for me as a keeper who has no real desires to become the next Reptile Millionaire Mogul...

There are many reasons why someone may want locale specific animals, pretentiousness among the keepers I know is least on the list Saximus.

In your case Swampdonkey it's obviously of no concern so enjoy them for what they are

There are many reasons why someone may want locale specific animals, pretentiousness among the keepers I know is least on the list Saximus.

In your case Swampdonkey it's obviously of no concern so enjoy them for what they are

It was only a light hearted jab brother. Don't take it too seriously :).

One point with your two species though is that locality might give you some indication of adult characteristics like colour and size. For example, SA Womas are the largest and arguably the dullest (or at least the least patterned) and I'm pretty sure Qld and NT BHPs are different in size and colour too but I don't know my BBPs that well.

Most reptiles in the hobby are not locale specific and it does not matter if you do not have locales for your snakes. The issue arises when people make up locales for there animals or have people guess them going only on flimsy characteristics. These animals are then passed on as something they are not which ruins peoples lines who do wish to keep there stock locale pure.

There is only three ways that I accept a locale for a snake.
1. I saw the licensed taker collect it.
2. I know the taker well enough to trust his info.
3. Animals bred from the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back