Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As with all pets, you have to find the one you like, with a temperament you can live with. My friend has a Black and Gold Palmerston Jungle that is a fussy feeder and tags her every now and then, but she loves him for it. I, personally, couldn't handle being bitten regularly, it would take the enjoyment out of keeping one.

awww man getting chewed on is the best part haha

I was warned off Jungles, but it was the 1 python that suited my needs for space, size and colour. I wanted a fairly active arboreal python that didn't grow huge. For me, it was a toss up between a Jungle and a Diamond, but the more I looked at Jungles, the more I had to have one.

I was told by a few people "Don't get one, they're snappy" etc etc, but with patience, a calm confident approach and the utmost respect for their space, I find them amazing and once a python settles in (any python) the right approach is all you need. You will learn the signals when they are more reactive and when it's best to leave them be and you will be rewarded with an amazing family member for your kids too.

My boy came from a breeder on these forums (no longer breeds, shame, he had some amazing Jungles) and he is originally a Southern Cross Reptiles line. He was flighty and super fast when he was a hatchy and still now, if he is in "ima eat you" mode (branch hanging etc) he will headbutt the enclosure if I accidentally spook him .

I actually LIKE the fact that someone just can't go in there, grab him and man-handle him - they will get tagged. I have only even been bitten once by him (Day 1 in fact) but as I respect his boundaries and am slow and steady when I handle him, he is a calm and non reactive snake.

Get what your instincts tell you to get - then research your breeders and go from there.

Best of luck :)

Have a look at the For Sale add on here for Mt Isa Carpets. Similar to an MD in terms of terperment by all accounts, very nice looking, locale specific and only grow to 1.2M.

get what you want. if you want a jungle get a jungle. look for a more placid one but even if you get one that is more on the aggressive side regular handling can fix that

As everyone has said regular handling and your snake will adapt. I recently
Bought myself a second stimson which is 3 years old. I believe she wasn't handled all that often previously(even tho they said she was) but I stuck at it and only handled myself. She quickly came around and loves relaxing on my shoulders. My kids now hold her and I don't have a worry in the world of anything going wrong. All the best with your new addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back