Laser Etched Photos of your Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you get this if we made it available?

• Yes

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Part of the reason I chose that photo. I mean, you could make it so photos have to be approved for clarity and contrast as well, so that anything that would be time consuming for editing or hard to get proper clarity on the end product don't get through. The above photo was a macro shot and the original image size before I shrunk it to post was 4233 wide by 2071 high. So 1380x2071 for just the third image. That sort of image size should be fairly easy to play around with I would imagine.

Ah contrast that was the word escaping me. Thanks :)

Thank you for the responses, I would love to do this, but the costs are just too high. We can't rely on everyone to do the editing for us, but it would be appreciated. Perhaps we can only do this as a one off service rather than a "dedicated product line".

Forgive me if I get this wrong, the photo you submitted is a Jungle? This is actually a better example than the GTP we used. From what I have read, the higher the contrast - the better. But this only applies to glass. Alternatively we could etch aluminium or stainless steel with better results as the material is not as "porous" (glass absorbs heat too readily so there is a lot of problems with detail). We feel glass is only really good for etching solid areas.

I think given our experiments with this, we better understand the art requirements for the shot glasses. If anyone still wants these etched photos and can't wait potentially a few months to a year before we would be comfortable pursuing this product line, you can PM me with what you are after.

Stainless steel is still a great idea :)

I have seen glass products with etched stainless steel on it. Shot glasses would still be doable - as would a little emblem or something to put on enclosures.

Don't give up, I believe in you!!! :D

Where was this 2 days ago (found it on a forum deep inside the internet)
"Photo engraving on glass unfortunately doesn't work well at all. Glass engraving alone is a challenge with C02 lasers and the detail required for a photo will typically be washed away. I have had success lasering on optic crystal, but it's too pricey for customers'.

What's always a blast to photo engraving is Onyx Marble and Black Granite. Both have their challenges, but the results are quite impressive.

Leather photo engraving looks nice as well, it just STINK up the shop pretty badly."

Turns out I have been trying to etch the hardest and most unreliable material...

Stainless/Aluminium sounds like a much better idea, especially since Rick pretty much only etches these materials and would have all the perfect settings :)

Turns out that the glass products with photos etched in are done on a special optical crystal which is expensive.

The potential for this as a special way to remember your pets is worth the struggle to find the right solution :)

Haha nice one.

What are those cubes of glass(?) that you can buy with the picture inside it? It would be freaking cool if you made reptile ones of them :)

Have you checked out laser etching on clear acrylic sheets? I think the sheets will be a bit more expensive than glass but not by much.

Have you checked out laser etching on clear acrylic sheets? I think the sheets will be a bit more expensive than glass but not by much.

We could try but could be as problematic as glass.

makana_anodised_aluminium_zpsbc46ffcb.jpg

This was done by Rick as an example of anodised aluminium. The detail here is far beyond what the glass was capable of. We will edit the photos to be different to this as to not have so much white, but essentially this means we could process images without the need to edit the files greatly. Basically receive image, contrast fix, covert to 1bit image and laser. Looking promising.

This was done by Rick as an example of anodised aluminium. The detail here is far beyond what the glass was capable of. We will edit the photos to be different to this as to not have so much white, but essentially this means we could process images without the need to edit the files greatly. Basically receive image, contrast fix, covert to 1bit image and laser. Looking promising.

It looks excellent! I can't wait to see where you go from here :)

That's smick though price would be an issue

Have you guys thought about etching the back of iPhone 5 cases?

Have you guys thought about etching the back of iPhone 5 cases?

We can do this, we haven't looked into it as such however. To clarify, when you say "cases" do you mean third party cases that you purchase, or the phone itself?

On the actual phone case

Laser Engraved iPhone 5 Looks Really Cool | Unlock and Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3, iOS 7 UnTethered

I was thinking a photo of a snake coiled on a rat hanging from a branch type photo would look cool on the back of the phone

We will look into it, the only problem is the logistics of it. You would have to send us your phone essentially and we would need to have waiver forms signed, insurance on the postage, etc.

We would like to one day have an on-site laser where we can do this kind of custom stuff at shows.

There is a lot of potential for Virides to bring a multitude of new products with our new resources. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Virides I would buy one of those awful iphones if you could engrave it at a reptile expo! haha

We will look into it, the only problem is the logistics of it. You would have to send us your phone essentially and we would need to have waiver forms signed, insurance on the postage, etc.

We would like to one day have an on-site laser where we can do this kind of custom stuff at shows.

There is a lot of potential for Virides to bring a multitude of new products with our new resources. Thanks for the suggestion :)

You guys could just buy "replacement" cases instead of needing the phone $10 on eBay
even just a line of generic photos instead of personal photos, that way you could keep labour cost down ect

You guys could just buy "replacement" cases instead of needing the phone $10 on eBay
even just a line of generic photos instead of personal photos, that way you could keep labour cost down ect

I don't own any iPhones, but I was under the impression that the phone came in its own milled aluminium body? Could you provide me with a link to these cases?

Thanks

I don't own any iPhones, but I was under the impression that the phone came in its own milled aluminium body? Could you provide me with a link to these cases?

Thanks

For some reason it won't let me post the link. They do come with an aluminium body but it can be removed and refitted. if you type in iphone 5 replacement case into eBay they pop up also you can get a aluminium replacement case for iPhone 4

I had a quick look, and found some. This looks like a viable option :)

We would likely come up with a few designs and put them online. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back