Jungle Jag - won't eat AND suggestions for types of tree limbs we can use

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whytwolf

Reaction score
Hi all:

My son got a beautiful b/w jungle jag about 1 month ago now - in a large vivarium (personally i think the big enclosure was a mistake - it's a nightmare temp wise - too tall all the heat rises to the top - anyway I digress

"elvis" shed with the first week of having him home YAY!! - good shed no dramas other than a bit of shed got stuck in his nose ... got that sorted ......

he's got a good hide but i'm thinkin that it's not warm enough in that hide ...... main problem at the moment is that the little bugger won't eat - he's about 4 foot and approx 1-2 inches in diameter ...... he's a healthy snake or seems to be. We've tried doing what the shop said they do - defrost the rat, dip it in chicken broth, then it was defrost the rat WITH a quail, did that no go ..... he's just not wanting to eat.....

Ok - suggestions for getting Elvis to eat would be great

Next question - what is the general opinion of using tree branches from the bush for inside the enclosure - gum tree??? Its a very large enclosure and we really need to get some branches in there so he can get up closer to the heat if he so chooses ... atm all he does is stay inside his hide - he hasn't come out really since he shed .....

Suggestions, theories all welcome .......

cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the non-feeding response, if your snake has been recently rehoused and the enclosure is much bigger it will be feeling insecure and unsure and may go off feeds for a while. If you cant heat the floor under his hide with a heat cord/thermostat set up then consider building a basking shelf, or as you describe - a tree branch (disinfected first) to allow him to get closer to the heat. Don't worry about him not feeding, if he is a healthy unit he can go for ages. I'd also question feeding mice to an animal that big - he should be on larger prey like large fuzzy rats/small quail etc. Don't panic, don't try and feed him for a fortnight, then defrost a large fuzzy rat and when defrosted and warmed all the way through in hot water try offering it to him once more and see how he goes. We had a problem feeding our hatchling albino DCP a while back and just left him settle for a month before trying again and he now feeds like a champion...

Put it in a smaller tank with stable temps, either something made out of melamine or a click clack - or - you can fix up your current set up which will mean plenty of hides, and most of all STABLE TEMPS. I think your tank simply sounds like a mixture of being too large, exposed and not heated adequately.

If you've seen any well established collections you can go cage to cage and snakes will fly out the doors for dead rats. Your snake hasn't grown to 4ft by not eating - the problem lies with your husbandry, not your snake.

the temps are 31.6 down at the bottom of the tank - probably a bit cooler in his hide ...... the temp is always around 30-31 at the bottom of the tank ..... we have one of those thermometers that have the lead where you can put it where you want to know the temp .... i agree the enclosure is too large and needs more stuff....

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for that

will have to check up on the "law" sigh......

didn't think about the enclosure being larger than his previous one - it's probably double the size of his previous enclosure ....

tree branches ... how to go about disinfecting them and what sort? - gum tree ok? the branches would probably be a 1/2 to a meter long

I've told my son that snakes can go for ages without eating - but he's stressing anyway : )

thanks for your suggestions

My jag went a couple of months without eating, settling into his new home, getting used to new surroundings and temperatures.
And now he's eating every week without fail.

Some snakes are just difficult, but don't stress :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back