Is there such a thing as studding out male snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing

Reaction score
I was wondering, do people stud out their male snakes for breeding. Im particular a woma? I know it's done with other animals, but wasn't sure about snakes.

If you happy enough possibly exposing your snake to parasites, disease and possibly death go for it!

If you happy enough possibly exposing your snake to parasites, disease and possibly death go for it!

or crashing your car getting there..........or being struck by lightening walking to your car..........or a tsunami if you live on the coast .....or a volcanic eruption if you have to travel near mountains..........or a tree falling on you ......... or a drop bear falling out of a tree on you ........or tripping over a hyperdermic needle used by a druggo and you catch hepetitis or aids.........or you breath in exhaled smoke from a smoker and die of lung cancer .............or you just die laughing at silly things people say on here........ !

or crashing your car getting there..........or being struck by lightening walking to your car..........or a tsunami if you live on the coast .....or a volcanic eruption if you have to travel near mountains..........or a tree falling on you ......... or a drop bear falling out of a tree on you ........or tripping over a hyperdermic needle used by a druggo and you catch hepetitis or aids.........or you breath in exhaled smoke from a smoker and die of lung cancer .............or you just die laughing at silly things people say on here........ !

The only silly thing in this thread is your post. Viral disease is a very real and serious threat and anyone who doesn't follow at least basic quarantine is asking for trouble.

If I was going to do it I would only do it with a very trusted person and quarantine the snake once I received it back for at least 6 months.

What a stupid post. Many people's animals/collections have died/been stolen due to dodgy breeding loans.

What a stupid post. Many people's animals/collections have died/been stolen due to dodgy breeding loans.
I have even heard of a story of animals coming back burnt and dehydrated after eventually being given back.

I have even heard of a story of animals coming back burnt and dehydrated after eventually being given back.

Yep, not sure how many of you are familiar with what happened with that fellas GTP collection a few months ago. He leant one of his on a breeding loan to someone he thought he could trust, came back sick and most or all of his collection ended up dead.

Yep, not sure how many of you are familiar with what happened with that fellas GTP collection a few months ago. He leant one of his on a breeding loan to someone he thought he could trust, came back sick and most or all of his collection ended up dead.
Wow that would almost be enough for me to give up on snakes.

Yes of course it can be done, I've done it before as many keepers I've known previously have. I know mostly positive experiences from these loans and it can be very convenient and at times, necessary when particular bloodlines are required. It is the same as when you purchase a new python these days, be mindful of the type of collection the snake is going into/coming from and if there is a high turnover of reptiles in the facility thereby heightening the chances of exposure to disease and parasites. It depends on the person the loan is being entrusted to, what are their methodologies and what has been decided regarding the resultant offspring? There will always be inherent risks but if you do your background research and know will almost full confidence what your getting into it can be a very rewarding experience. Beware though most loans I'm aware of and have been personally involved in regard keepers known to each other and familiar with each others collections, not strangers you've been chatting to online......

Just remember that sunshine virus has been tested positive multiple times in a snake that has lived for a very long time showing zero symptoms, I have taken on a stud male a few times but i havnt lent one of mine out yet it is rewarding as long as you are dealing with good friends who you trust and respect their keeping methods and talk to you about whats happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back