BHP urates have some unusual stuff going on

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

graphitebeans

Reaction score
Hey all - hopefully this is just a straightforward "nah all is good" but I just wanted a second opinion. My BHP excreted urates last night and today I see there's a little blood and some yellow crystals in it. Is this usual, or do I need to visit the vet/change food? Currently feeding large weaner rats ~every 12 days.
e2a5enu5.jpg

the yellow crystals are bile , on their own there nothing to worry about i have seen the same thing in both my womas from hatchlings and after talking to many other keepers of the aspidites genus it seems that its a bit more common in them the others , unsure what causes it but have heard a few different theories , personally i noticed a dramatic decrease ( to the point where i now only see it every few poops if that ) when i changed them from a full time diet of rats to a full time diet of quail just something i noticed

the little bit of blood though i cant really comment on as ive never seen it in any of my animals before , hopefully someone can help you with that

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad it's not a big problem - I have a friend who suggested the little bit of blood may have come from the crystals nicking his cloaca on the way out (or something to that effect). I'm curious about the whole quail thing - how would I determine what size to feed him?
Thanks!
Cat

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad it's not a big problem - I have a friend who suggested the little bit of blood may have come from the crystals nicking his cloaca on the way out (or something to that effect). I'm curious about the whole quail thing - how would I determine what size to feed him?
Thanks!
Cat
no worries as i said though i wont comment on the blood thing , but the crystals i have seen plenty of times , my guys are now coming onto 2 and are perfectly healthy

with the quail it really is just something i noticed it could of just been a complete coincidence but if you want to feed quail then just do what you do with rats aim for roughly 20% of body weight , no different really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back