Does a hatchy NEED a click clack?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benwar

Reaction score
I have been looking to purchase my first snake however the seller has run out of yearling spotted pythons, they have other pythons available at the same price but this isn't a price thing, I am willing to wait for a hatchy, I bought all of the equipment and have a tank set up for the yearling but considering I am no longer able to get one I was wondering if hatchys need a click clack or if it could go in my set up tank, it has 2 piles of rocks on either end, hot glued together to Provent a collapse and plenty of hides built into each, I am prepared to use a click clack if necessary but it would be a shame to waste such a beautiful enclosure (so says me)

No, they don't need click-clacks.

You may find that they will begin feeding and become established feeders quicker in click-clacks, but this can also happen in an enclosure. I have put hatchlings straight into enclosures roughly 50cm high, 50cm wide and 1m long, and they have settled in immediately. You just need to fill the enclosure with lots of hides that are to scale with the snakes tiny size.

is it a sliding door enclosure? they have been known to accidentally slide the door open and get out, make sure u have a tight lock, what u can do is put a clickclack in the enclosure with a lid and after about 2 weeks put him in and take the click clack out. put him in the centre so he can choose which side to go on though.

although i have chucked 2-3month old snakes in 2-3ft enclosures before

If it is a sliding glass door the real concern would be the hatchie squeezing through the gap between the two glass panels.

Its not going to get out of a sliding glass door. Its simply to thin a space for it to squeeze through. But I would just get a lock or even just a folded bit of paper to go between the panels would be enough to hold them tightly closed. Also just make sure there are LOTS of hides in the tank cause it might feel a little exposed in a bigger tank, other than that I think it would be fine in there.

Its not going to get out of a sliding glass door. Its simply to thin a space for it to squeeze through. But I would just get a lock or even just a folded bit of paper to go between the panels would be enough to hold them tightly closed. Also just make sure there are LOTS of hides in the tank cause it might feel a little exposed in a bigger tank, other than that I think it would be fine in there.

Hatchy ants can quite easily squeeze through the gap in between 2 glass sliders.

Unless you have a very good understanding of a pythons requirements then without doubt a click clack is the way to go.Baby pythons are very nervous and because of this they can quite often choose a hiding place that offers the security they are after even though the hiding place may not be any good temp wise,the end result may be a non feeding animal.

This was my 18 month old spotted python so a hatchling and even a yearling would have no problem sliding between the glass
7810E6AA-C143-4B21-B98D-F674606A3CC8-3916-000003A0000C526F.jpg

Last edited:
I use brush seal between the two layers of glass just to be sure, it's cheap and available at most hardware stores. It's usually found in the doors and windows section and at $10 for a roll big enough to do a few enclosures it's a few dollars well spent.

This was my 18 month old spotted python so a hatchling and even a yearling would have no problem sliding between the glass

Excellent illustration of just what they are capable of. Looks like pretty standard sized glass track too. Great post.

Aaron

This is why you do your own further research past APS boys and girls.

Just goes to show be careful what you post... :LOL:

I have read a few threads of escaped young snakes with the only way out being between the glass. Even though this won't be the problem faced with the above enclosure it is worth noting an easy fix for the problem. Get some clear tubing similar to the stuff used in aquariums but slightly thicker, slit it down the middle and pop it over the edge of the inside door as it will close the gap but still allow the doors to slide and can't be pushed off by the snake as it squeezes through the gap.

Even with a top opener you will need to look closely at any gaps as Spotteds will climb and explore every corner that they can reach. It's amazing watching them balance on something and then stretch out to reach something.

- - - Updated - - -

I trust Houdini here wasn't hurt by this adventure?

I would put some broad leafed fake plants in there, take up a bit of that open space.
More rocks and wood. Lots of places to hide. My ground dwelling BHP spends most of his time
cruising up. Good luck snake proofing it, they're great at hide and seek :)

Nope she's fine, my most proficient escapee, if there's a way she finds it. Just had to sit there and wait till she made her way out.

Turns out they have a 10month old they are going to sell me, no-need to work about the hatchys no more :)

I would suggest still adding more stuff into the enclosure for it to hide in/around.

There's no need to be rude or try to make me look stupid. I was simply speaking from my own experience. The sliding glass on all of my tanks have never had a gap big enough for anything to fit through. But as someone has shown me it is possible and I would like for you to not continue being rude. Thanks.

Also I agree with what others have said. It should be fine as long as there is plenty of places to hide in, at both cool and warm ends so it feels nice and safe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back