How and Why do you incubate your eggs the way do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I decided to go by feel and not measure any vermiculite and water ratios, years ago while at true blues place he was mixing up his mix by feel, and I was up there last week and decided I would give it ago, so far so good, my incubator temp range is around 30 to no more than 31.5

They say the ratio is 50/50 isn't it? Is that by weight or what? Getting as much info for next year.

Mungus: That's what I thought when it was recommended to me. I used this method on some monitor eggs that had collapsed after being laid on dry substrate after recommendation from Danny Brown. It worked a treat. Obviously not an ideal scenario, but it was an effective corrective measure in this particular case.

Wing_Nut: Did you leave the eggs in a clump or separate them? Did you wet the entire sheet of paper or just the parts in contact with eggs? Is there any reason not to wet the paper (using the dropper) first before laying it on the eggs?

Being monitor eggs they were seperate. The entire sheet was moist. I don't think it would make a difference how you moistened it other than not damaging it once it was damp (tearing etc) theory is it raises the local humidity and rehydrates the eggs. Not a perfect fix, but it worked for me. Hope this helps

deebo has "stolen" one of my favorite sayings, Mother Nature has designed the eggs to hatch under a wide range of conditions and temps.

Haha! Sorry nev.....just got me thinking after our conversation the other night. Interested to hear other peoples ideas.

Posted this in the woma group but here are some pics of how ive done my woma clutches this year. Some pics of a clutch laid the day going down on dry perlite and buried in dry perlite, and another clutch done the same way about 2 weeks off hatching.

Interestingly the clutch laid a couple of days ago has moisture building up on the front of the tub already.....

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 59
Haha! Sorry nev.....just got me thinking after our conversation the other night. Interested to hear other peoples ideas.

Posted this in the woma group but here are some pics of how ive done my woma clutches this year. Some pics of a clutch laid the day going down on dry perlite and buried in dry perlite, and another clutch done the same way about 2 weeks off hatching.

Interestingly the clutch laid a couple of days ago has moisture building up on the front of the tub already.....

That is a very interesting way of doing it. I guess for that to work you need the fully sealed tub. The girl looks real nice.....

Of course she looks nice nev, she is one of yours. ;)

They are in sistema tubs which seal very well. They have a rubber ring around the lid and clip down tight. Hopefully this method works as I have 3 clutches (soon to be 4) cooking this way.

yep.....i must not claim this method as my own. I am copying a guy from the states but thought id give it a run this year and so far all the healthy eggs seem to be going fine.

I got a big bag last year, it has been sitting in my shed with the top open for about 12 months....this stuff is bone dry i would say. I will give it a squeeze and see what happens. It may have pulled some moisture out of the air but feels dry to the touch.

I'm using verm myself I have a blonde and a tri color mac both just pre layed yesterday going to use 100-- 40 ratio in air tight sistema

Of course she looks nice nev, she is one of yours. ;)

They are in sistema tubs which seal very well. They have a rubber ring around the lid and clip down tight. Hopefully this method works as I have 3 clutches (soon to be 4) cooking this way.

Yeah OK, I remember that line....
It will be interesting to see how they end up.......Given the woma habitat I suspect that the lack of water won't affect the eggs all that much.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back