best hatchling rack?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

Reaction score
looking at a decent hatch rack to upgrade this season.
apart from snake whisperer and reptile racks Australia?
at this point I'm going with the vision racks, just wondering if anyone knocks up racks on here as a hobby??

cheers

Gee's the Vision racks are $1200-$1500 !!!
The Quadrant 5L tubs are $2.50 each.
24 tubs can be done with 1 50W heat cord or 2 if your going to run 2 side by side.
Router 2 grooves on each piece of ply - except the top one plus
$90 for ply, screws, tape etc.
Done !!
Just built a 96 tub 5L Hatchie rack and 30 tub 20 Litre rack ( all tubs with flat btm's ) with heat cords etc for under $700 !!
Where about are you from ??

24 tubs can be done with 1 50W heat cord or 2 if your going to run 2 side by side.
Done !!
Just built a 96 tub 5L Hatchie rack and 30 tub 20 Litre rack ( all tubs with flat btm's ) with heat cords etc for under $700 !!
U got any pics Aleks ? I've done a yearling 6 tub rack but want better ideals for a gat hie rack thanks

dont know if i can say cause its facebook but look up south east queensland animal enclosures on facebook or david has an add on gumtree queensland and david makes some great racks! i cant say quailty just yet as ive only just nearly finished paying mine off, getting one with 12, 10 litre tubs as its just for my little snakes cause i dont breed as of yet but he will most probably be the person i go to when i do!:)

Done !!

Brisbane, yeah I've considered building my own. i build my own enclosures and thats about enough DIY for me haha. though i might look into it
where do you get the quadrant tubs from?

looking at a decent hatch rack to upgrade this season.
apart from snake whisperer and reptile racks Australia?
at this point I'm going with the vision racks, just wondering if anyone knocks up racks on here as a hobby??

cheers

what type of pythons are you putting in there? I haven't found commercial rack that are suitable for ant hatchlings yet, so have just built my own. I use vision racks for my adults and they are great quality.

IMGP1560.jpg
These racks cost me about $700. They take 6 vision tubs wide x17 high, so about 100 tubs per rack. they are on wheels but pretty heavy.

Attachments

• 100pac price listMarch2009.xls
    77.5 KB · Views: 102
what type of pythons are you putting in there? I haven't found commercial rack that are suitable for ant hatchlings yet, so have just built my own. I use vision racks for my adults and they are great quality.

this one will be for womas, though if i get the vision one i will throw some antaresia in it aswell.

this one will be for womas, though if i get the vision one i will throw some antaresia in it aswell.

Going off the gaps at the top of the tubs on my vision rack I wouldn't being putting ants in them. My hatchling rack is similar to wokka's except I have a cupboard at the bottom instead of the tubs going all the way to the floor (I'm an old man) so it only holds 80 tubs.

The first ones had heat tape but now i just have a heated room with 8 racks. and a few with large tubs for olives, bhps etc.
So what is the optimum temp where they don't need to thermo regulate with a heat gradient?

So what is the optimum temp where they don't need to thermo regulate with a heat gradient?

There would still be heat gradient within the tub so they can still thermo regulate, ie if you provided a room temp of say 28c there would be cooler spots within the tub. It takes a bit more of an understanding to successfully keep your snakes with no high temp hot spot, but can be done with some species. To date I haven't heard of or seen any papers on internal temperature to see what internal temps the snake is trying to achieve.

Last edited:
There would still be heat gradient within the tub so they can still thermo regulate, ie if you provided a room temp of say 28c there would be cooler spots within the tub. It takes a bit more of an understanding to successfully keep your snakes with no high temp hot spot, but can be done with some species. To date I haven't heard of or seen any papers on internal temperature to see what internal temps the snake is trying to achieve.
People on this site have suggested that the temperature that snakes try to achieve will change depending on what is happening , for example if the snake is gravid or just eaten.

People on this site have suggested that the temperature that snakes try to achieve will change depending on what is happening , for example if the snake is gravid or just eaten.

does it change or is it that they need a high or lower temperature to be able to achieve the optimal internal body temp.

Last edited:
does it change or is it that they need a high or lower temperature to be able to achieve the optimal internal body temp.
I am not sure because I assumed that there would in theory be one optimal temperature that would keep a snake happy and it was possibly Jamie or someone else with a lot of experience that told me that they require different temperatures depending what was happening in their life at that point.

I think their optimal internal body temperature remains the same but to maintain it they require higher or lower temps. but this requirement can be controlled through husbandry, food ect

I am not sure because I assumed that there would in theory be one optimal temperature that would keep a snake happy and it was possibly Jamie or someone else with a lot of experience that told me that they require different temperatures depending what was happening in their life at that point.
Yes that's my understanding too. An example would be if a bit of bone or something scratched them inside. They seek out more heat to fight infection and heal. When I took a python with an abscess to the vet. They explained how that when we get sick we will get a fever but reptiles need to seek out more heat. At the time I had a max of 32 for my carpets. The vet said it is better to give them 35 and let them work out where they need to be.

Ive measured a tub left in a room with no added heating. There certainly isn't a 10 degree or even 5 degree thermal gradient.

Yes that's my understanding too. An example would be if a bit of bone or something scratched them inside. They seek out more heat to fight infection and heal. When I took a python with an abscess to the vet. They explained how that when we get sick we will get a fever but reptiles need to seek out more heat. At the time I had a max of 32 for my carpets. The vet said it is better to give them 35 and let them work out where they need to be.

Ive measured a tub left in a room with no added heating. There certainly isn't a 10 degree or even 5 degree thermal gradient.

Did you ask your vet where they got this information/theory from? mammals and reptiles are very different. If there is something scientific behind their advise I would love to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back