best hatchling rack?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ask your vet where they got this information/theory from? mammals and reptiles are very different. If there is something scientific behind their advise I would love to read it.
Will do. Haven't been to the vet for three years but next time for sure. I assume it's pretty common knowledge since you always hear them telling people with sick animals to bump the temp up a bit.

Speaking to some of the old timers. They said that providing a thermal gradient is a relatively new way of keeping reptiles. Back in the day they would catch a snake and out it in a cage with no heating. It was a pretty cool concept whin the idea of heating with globes came in apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

A quick look at google and there are quite a few articles saying that sick reptiles seek out more heat.
Eg http://www.anapsid.org/signs2.html

- - - Updated - - -

"As a rule, sick herps require additional heat. It is preferable to keep an ill herp at the high end of its Preferred Optimal Temperature Zone (POTZ). This will vary from species to species, but Preferred Optimal Temperature Zones are published in several sources, including Dr. Douglas Mader's Reptile Medicine and Surgery text (W.B. Saunders, 6277 Sea Harbor Dr., Orlando, FL 32887). An increase in temperature will help stimulate the immune system. There must be a thermal gradient in the environment to prevent heat stress, however. Basking lights should be provided for species that spend time basking daily."

Will do. Haven't been to the vet for three years but next time for sure. I assume it's pretty common knowledge since you always hear them telling people with sick animals to bump the temp up a bit.

Speaking to some of the old timers. They said that providing a thermal gradient is a relatively new way of keeping reptiles. Back in the day they would catch a snake and out it in a cage with no heating. It was a pretty cool concept whin the idea of heating with globes came in apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

A quick look at google and there are quite a few articles saying that sick reptiles seek out more heat.
Eg Guidelines for Medicating Sick Herps

- - - Updated - - -

"As a rule, sick herps require additional heat. It is preferable to keep an ill herp at the high end of its Preferred Optimal Temperature Zone (POTZ). This will vary from species to species, but Preferred Optimal Temperature Zones are published in several sources, including Dr. Douglas Mader's Reptile Medicine and Surgery text (W.B. Saunders, 6277 Sea Harbor Dr., Orlando, FL 32887). An increase in temperature will help stimulate the immune system. There must be a thermal gradient in the environment to prevent heat stress, however. Basking lights should be provided for species that spend time basking daily."

Thanks I will go do some reading.
From what I have read temps too high can actually shut the immune system down and that heat stress is from not being able to cool down.

Thanks I will go do some reading.
From what I have read temps too high can actually shut the immune system down and that heat stress is from not being able to cool down.
Haha. Yes too hot will kill them. Gotta use common sense. The hottest suggested is the top of their POTZ.

It would be great if someone actually did a study with internal temperature mapping to actually see what the optimal temps are and see if their requirement do remain the same.

It would be great if someone actually did a study with internal temperature mapping to actually see what the optimal temps are and see if their requirement do remain the same.
quite a few stats like that in reptile medicine by
D. Mader. Great book. But $$$

quite a few stats like that in reptile medicine by
D. Mader. Great book. But $$$

will look into it, don't mind paying $$$ for good information thanks

was cheaper then I thought just brought for $152 thanks again

Last edited:
So what is the optimum temp where they don't need to thermo regulate with a heat gradient?
The temperature in the room peaks at 29 -32C I have a thermostatically controlled heater and a fan circulating the air. There is a gradient of about 3c from the bottom to the top shelves so i keep say diamonds on lower shelves. Of the many hatchlings i have kept this way i dont have many unexplained deaths. probably about 1-2% . I dont know if the snakes are happy but they seem to feed and grow similarly to animals kept with gradients. Once they are a few months old i drop the night temps to slow there metabolism and give them a break, except for the three nights after feeding.

The temperature in the room peaks at 29 -32C I have a thermostatically controlled heater and a fan circulating the air. There is a gradient of about 3c from the bottom to the top shelves so i keep say diamonds on lower shelves. Of the many hatchlings i have kept this way i dont have many unexplained deaths. probably about 1-2% . I dont know if the snakes are happy but they seem to feed and grow similarly to animals kept with gradients. Once they are a few months old i drop the night temps to slow there metabolism and give them a break, except for the three nights after feeding.
Certainly more the one way to skin a cat. I enjoy listening to how people keep and do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back