My beardie is biting off her sisters foot! Please help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
spot on mate, I stopped breeding English Bull Terriers a few years ago due to the unpredictability when introducing 2 individuals, even when the dam is on heat, and they've successfully bred years prior... I won't house any animals together purely for that reason...

i keep 5 dogs, 3 in 1 yard and 2 in another yard, i have 2 yards as some can not be trusted wen i am not around. i do keep lizards, dragons and pythons in pairs and groups. they have been kept together for years, i am aware of the risks and have spare enclosures to separate them if need be. and in all these years i have kept reptiles together i have never lost a reptile or had one lose any limbs.

i have attempted to put certain reptiles in pairs but they have shown agrestion and were removed straight away, i have a coastal that even in breeding season attacks every female i put him with and they are 100% female, he is housed on his own and will be for the rest of his life.

at the end of the day its personal choice, and should only be done if you can read your reptiles body language so you know if they are gonna attack or not wen introducing. and watch their behaviour and interaction even years later as they can change.

Beareded dragons cant be housed together. It doesn't matter if they are same sex, clutch mates or pick each others sons up from school. They are SOLITARY animals that ONLY come together to mate. Housing them together is asking for trouble. It might not happen right away but it will. You need to put a divider in or get her into a new tank asap. Then get some betadine and mix it with water until it lokos like a really weak tea then soak any wounds in that.

Please be more responsible.

Considering that it was on advice from this forum that they were housed together in the first place I dont appreciate the hint that I ignored being told not to.

I will separate the aggressor and I appreciate the comments but considering thy have lived together for yeeeears without incident I am not going to give them away! I would have liked someone who has had this happen to suggest why it might happen.
I find it hard to believe the general consensus would have been to keep them together. Judging by your attitude it seems you chose the advice that suited you and not the advice that was in the best interest of your dragons. Unless you have a zoo sized enclosure, separate them.

People all over the world keep dragons together all year round.... Have a look at sandfire dragon ranch.

People all over the world keep dragons together all year round.... Have a look at sandfire dragon ranch.
It is quite evident that people do keep dragons together with no problems but surely your advice in this case would be to still separate them?

keep them seperate it is not rocket science. How can people still argue that it's fine to keep them in the same enclosure.

While I agree when there is a clear case of bulling there needs to be action (this would be separation of either the aggressor or the victim at least until healed and action as to the cause can be ascertained). Making gross sweeping statements that they cannot be housed together is incorrect.

All over the world people house usually solitary animals together for various reasons with mixed results. Generally in Bearded Dragons when housed in appropriately sized enclosures, with suitable basking sites, correctly sexed and fed correctly there are very few if any problems. The toes could of been lost via a feeding accident, poor humidity control resulting in a bad shed that caused constriction to the blood supply to the toes etc. However at the end of the day making the op feel bad is not going to help the situation.

Temporary dividers, plastic tubs etc as already offered as suggestions helps...."the you should know better speech does not".....especially when the information is not based on fact, without knowing the whole story.

Incidentently, the "betadine solution" offered by "Beans" is not what I would use. Weakening a solution without a true formula is asking for trouble.....rather than that, speak to a reptile vet for advice....they will most likely request a consultation and in that would be your best course of action after initial separation.

Cheers,
Scott

The OP stated that it was a bullying problem as she said she caught her in the act. I do agree that with appropriate housing it is possible and maybe if the enclosure is huge and set up correctly but I can't see that being the case. There is a blue tongue in with them as well, so that is three lizards in a standard enclosure. I can't see it ending well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back