Advice on snake who won't eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvztrekn

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHey, I purchased a 1 year old coastal carpet python 5 months ago, he ate for me the first week I had him but he hasn't eaten since then, his temperature is 29 degree is warm side and 23-24 in cool side, I have tried everything for example having him in bedroom where it's quiet changing temperature leaving food in there and so on, I am running out of ideas, I have been looking at photos of coastal carpets and my boy is a lot different he is yellow and black/brown, I had a friend who has owned snakes for 10 years twll me he may be part jag, could this have something to do with it, he also hasn't shed since I have had him please help!!!!

Last edited:
Try reading previous threads on the same topic, you will find many answers there. The search function if your friend and there have been many posts regarding snakes not eating lately.

I read a few but they were older snakes, I'm just really worried he hasn't shed since I have had him either I forgot to mention that

Previous threads have requested pics of housing to see if that may be the issue. Are you able to upload some?

it is what the breeder had him I when I got him, I bought his home along with him, I had his heat light blow a cpl hours ago I will be getting another one first thing tomorrow

looks like a nice little python
it cannot be part jag
pythons are either jag or not jag

if it was feeding for the original breeder something has changed
what that something is is anyones guess
probably a good idea to chat with the breeder

if that bulb has no guard might pay to put one on

if it hasnt been moving around much or feeding it has no need to change its skin yet

I would say the enclosure design is the problem. Enclosures which are taller than they are wide are often a problem, especially in the cooler months. It's almost impossible to get a good thermal gradient, especially if you have ventilation near the top. generally they are very cold at the bottom, and may be too hot at the top, and because there is no room to move closer to or away from the heat at the top, they can't find a comfortable place to stay. With tall enclosures the choices are too limited for the snake, especially if you live in a cool climate like autumn/winter/spring in Ballarat. Young Carpets are usually pigs, and the lack of interest in food is almost always temperature related.

I'm sure better accommodation will solve the problem.

Jamie

Try upping the hot end to 33ish degrees that sounds a bit too cold, how are you preparing and offering the food?

I have a heat mat down the bottom to keep the temp at a sturdy lvl at the bottom, I have a case for the glight fitting I just left it off as I just replaced the globe, we breed our own rats and our friend who used to sell frozen rats in bulk humanly gasses them for us, I have tried feeding him a fresh one but he didn't want it, usually I defrost them and feed them to him but he doesn't eat them either, when I got him I had to up him in a container he was in it for a month or so as the glass in his tank was cracked due to transporting it plus we fixed it up a bit, put a shelf and so on, I will TE to boost his temps and see if that helps, why would he have such bright colors, is he a cross breed

- - - Updated - - -

The vents are down the bottom half as well and not the top

I have a heat mat down the bottom to keep the temp at a sturdy lvl at the bottom

- - - Updated - - -

The vents are down the bottom half as well and not the top

Where's the cool side? I am no expert but I'd lay the enclosure on it's side.

I just had a closer look at your pic... Is it just me or is the tank perched precariously on the edge of a table?

The cool side is the bottom we have worked out a timer for heat mat to keep it around 23-25 degree he isn't kept on the edge I turned the tank to take a photo, I wil try laying it on its side but she loves to climb

It would be impossible to have a steady temp by controlling the heat through a timer.

What are the night temps doing where you live? Check the temps early morning around 6/7 AM as this is the coolest part of any day.You may be surprised at how low it is getting.

IMO: Just have part of the bottom as the "hot" end for now. Heatmat with thermo under 1 hide and have another unheated hide. He can stretch out up top etc.

He wont use the enclosure how you want (assuming you want him out basking etc) but it will get him eating again. He will outgrow that enclosure quickly so its just a really tall hatchy box for now.

Just doing the Math and it works out you got him/her in May, so it would be getting pretty damn cold in Ballarat in May and if that was the last time it ate and you have had his/her hot zone at around 28deg i would be thinking he/she shut down for the winter, and if you have not given it at least 32-33 deg now i would be assuming it does not think it is time to start eating. I am sure if you do as advised and bumped up the temp in the bottom of that enclosure to 33deg or layed it on it's side and gave it a good gradient it will start eating soon. As Ramsayi said if you check your temps early in the morning you may be in for a shock. :) ........................Ron

with the environment correct, time is the next best option.

recently my adult stopped feeding at the end of winter and beginning of summer, strange I know, but after 2 months, he started feeding again. no changes implemented.

How much time does your python spend outside of the cage? There have been problems getting pythons to feed after showering with their owner, wearing in hair of owner and using as bracelets. These activities can frighten the snake which often results in reluctant feeding. Normally the problem is temperature related. Like others have said I cant see how you could get the sideways temperature gradient you claimed, in that cage. Perhaps your thermometer is broken or not being used correctly. An infrared thermometer is good as it allows you to take the temperature of the snake.

How much time does your python spend outside of the cage? There have been problems getting pythons to feed after showering with their owner, wearing in hair of owner and using as bracelets. These activities can frighten the snake which often results in reluctant feeding.

LOL! I never realised there was a direct link. Maybe it goes the other way, my pythons are pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back