Need vet near ipswich, please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane73

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a reptile vet around the ipswich area.
I had my darwin python out for handling tonight and noticed he is wheezing/whistling when he breaths out.
I would like to take him to the vet tomorrow, I will be doing a search tonight, but if anyone knows of a vet in the area or knows of the next closest vet I would be very appreciative for the information.

Thank you Shane

Hi Shane, I can't help with the vet but is the python coming up to shed? Sometimes loose skin around the nostrils can create a wheeze sound. Otherwise it could be a respiratory problem which would be related to your temperatures (what's the hot and cold end set to?)

- - - Updated - - -

Have a look in the wiki tab above and look at the reptile vet section under directories.

Hi 5potted, no not due for shed. Temps are hot end on shelf where he sleeps 32-33, hot end on floor 30, cool end at night 25ish/ day 28ish.
Cheers for the wiki tip, have also found a few others.
Cheers

If the snake is coiling and behaving normally, and is feeding, it won't be RI, it will be a transient event, and will probably be due to the shed cycle. The first signs of RI are usually poor appetite and abnormal coiling - if neither of these symptons is present, just wait and see. Offer it food, if it eats, it will be fine. Sometimes they puff when being handled because of the exertion of moving involuntarily - when moving of their own accord, snakes are very energy efficient, when we force them into activity they can sound a bit breathless.

Jamie

There's a great vet that we recommend to everyone who comes in to our work. His name is Josh and he's at the Greeencross Vets at Mt Ommaney.

Hi guys thanks for your replies, I wasnt able to get to the vet today, unfortunatly I probably wont be able to get there until monday, UQ Gatton looks the go, thanks chimerapro.

Pythoninfinite, the only symptoms are the wheeze/whistle on exhale and his cage defensiveness was up a couple of notches, he vigorously ate an extra large meal 5 days ago and I dont realy want to feed him again before a vet visit on monday or tuesday.

In the mean time I found a thread started by Longqi called alternative reptile care, I do not know how to link as yet so I will just copy and paste the part that is relevant, hope thats ok to do.
I will follow this remedy over the weekend and keep a close eye on my python for any changes, and then to the vet mon or tue.

THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT TAKEN FROM A POST MADE BY LONGQI

RI or respiratory infection is just plain yucky
Usually arrives because your temps were too low for too long
Basically your snake has the flu
Similar symptoms and it can kill snakes fairly quickly
One of the biggest problems with RI is the type of medication
Baytril works well either injected or orally
BUT
Afterwards vets usually tell you to avoid any form of stress for the snake and that often includes breeding
Snakes treated with Baytril etc are very susceptible to RI in the future and second treatments of Baytril dont seem to work very well
This method I will describe is pretty time consuming but well worth a try as it clears up RI extremely well

Get a click clack type thing [plastic box with plenty of ventilation holes]
Get a bigger plastic box like a Woolworths storage box without holes
Get a plastic kitchen jug
Ingredients
1 litre boiling water
10 drops oil of eucalypt
Half [1/2] tespoon of Vicks vapour rub

Slitherer in ventilated box
Ventilated box into bigger plastic box
Jug of hot water Vicks and Eucalypt into the bigger box but not in direct contact with the small one
Put the lid on the bigger container and have a beer
Leave snake alone for about 10 minutes then back into its viv
Here is the bit that lots of Aussie vets disagree with [they normally recommend less humidity]
Up the humidity by 15% and temps by 2 or 3 Degrees Celcius
Repeat this twice a day for about 3 weeks
Has never failed yet even on snakes blowing bubbles and gasping etc

You have just made a steam bath for your snake
Exactly the same treatment our grannies used on us

Once again I am not trying to replace vet treatment here
Simply offering a few things up that have worked for me

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Joy, I'll check that out.

Extra large meal, pressure on throat, reduced airway, wheezing. I'd be watchful but not rushing to a vet at this point.

Hi all, just a quick update, all seems fine. I continued the steam bath routine through the weekend, then fed him a good size meal on sunday night with no dramas. He has spent the last two days in his hide and I took him out for an inspection tonight, and seems he is coming into shed, a bit earlier than I expected but he is nice and dark so there's no doubt, and there was next to no whistling.
Thank you all for your input.
Cheers Shane

Oh..and I'm glad I didn't rush off to the vet, cross contamination hadn't even crossed my mind, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back